Percentage in Commission Calculation Issue

• MHB
  • Thread starter mitsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation is about figuring out a formula for a pay plan and calculating employee pay based on a percentage of the business's net income. The owner believes the percentage should be calculated after their pay is subtracted from the net income. The proposed formula is to subtract the net income by 75% and then pay 25% of that number, resulting in an incorrect amount. The correct formula should be to first subtract the net income by the desired percentage, and then calculate the employee pay based on that amount. The conversation also discusses a similar situation with taxes.
mitsu
I'm trying to figure out a formula for a pay plan, I think we are calculating things incorrectly but I can't seem to work out the right formula..

The idea is that an employee is paid a percentage of the business's net income, the owner believes that percentage should be after their pay is calculated, the theory being the managers pay is an expense, so the true net income of the business is net of his pay and that's the number pay should be calculated from...

they are proposing to do it like this...

net income - 100,000

pay plan - 25 percent

so they go 100,000 x 75 percent = 75,000

then pay the 25 percent from that number which is 18750.

Doesn't seem right to me since 75,000+18,750 = 93750

leaving an amount of 6,250 that the employee should be entitled to a portion of...

This seems wrong to me as the true net income is not 75,000, it is 81,750 with that formula...

Would the formula be the same no matter what percentage was being used ? (ie whether the employee pay plan was being calculated at 10 or 15 or 20 % )

Hoping someone can help me figure out (what I feel like) should be a simple formula...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks to me that something like this is going on:

Income before commissions : A

Commissions : B

Net income: A-B

The weird part: B is calculated using a certain percentage
of (A-B), not on A alone.

If you want a reasonable answer, post your problem
reasonably clearly...guessing is not the way...

Here's an example of what I mean:
Code:
Gross income            96,800

Tax#1: 15% of Gross    -14,520 : 96800 * .15

Tax#2: 10% of Net      - 7,480 : 74800 * .10
                       =======
Net income              74,800
Calculation of Tax#2 a bit tricky, since Net income not known.
This'll work:

g = 96800

x = g * (1 - .15) = 96800 * .85 = 82280

n = x / (1 + .10) = 82280 / 1.10 = 74800

Tax#2 = x - n = 82280 - 74800 = 7480

Related to Percentage in Commission Calculation Issue

What is a percentage in commission calculation?

A percentage in commission calculation is a method used to determine the amount of money an individual or business will receive based on a percentage of the total sales or revenue generated. It is commonly used in sales-based industries to incentivize employees or to determine payment for services rendered.

How is the percentage in commission calculated?

The percentage in commission is typically calculated by multiplying the total sales or revenue generated by the commission rate. For example, if an employee has a 10% commission rate and generates $10,000 in sales, their commission would be $1,000 ($10,000 x 0.10 = $1,000).

What factors can affect the percentage in commission calculation?

The percentage in commission calculation can be affected by various factors, including the commission rate, the total sales or revenue generated, and any additional bonuses or incentives. Other factors such as changes in market conditions or company policies may also impact the calculation.

How can discrepancies in commission calculations be resolved?

If there are discrepancies in commission calculations, it is important to review the sales or revenue data and the commission rate to identify any errors or discrepancies. If necessary, a third-party auditor or mediator may be brought in to help resolve the issue.

Are there any potential issues or challenges with using percentage in commission calculations?

Some potential issues or challenges with using percentage in commission calculations include disputes over the commission rate, discrepancies in sales or revenue data, and potential conflicts of interest. It is important to have clear and transparent policies in place to address these issues and ensure fair and accurate commission calculations.