Pendulum & Basketball Lab(Accelration due to gravity)

In summary, the conversation discusses two lab experiments: one involving a pendulum and the other involving a falling basketball. The first experiment involved releasing a pendulum from a 10 degree angle and measuring its cycles, while the second experiment involved dropping a basketball from 3 floors and measuring the time it took to hit the ground. Some discussion questions were given by the teacher, including the concept of restoring force in a pendulum and possible sources of error in the experiments. The conversation also mentions the equation T=2π√(L/g) for the period of a pendulum. The group is unsure if they should include their calculations and results, but they are looking for guidance on where to start.
BKelAB

Homework Statement

Hey guys, i had to do a lab in class where i set up a lab using a steel ball and tied to a string and tied to a stand. I had to release the pendulum from a 10 degree angle and measure 20 cycles of the pendulum.
For the second lab, i had to drop a basketball from 3 floors and measure the time using a timer tape till it hit the ground.
Some discussion questions were given to my by the teacher.

1. The restoring force that brings the pendulum back to its equilibrium position is a component of the bob's weight, specifically force(sinx), where x is the angle at which the pendulum is displaced from equilibrium.
a. Explain conceptually why the period of a pendulum decreases when he length increases and decreases when the acceleration due to gravity increases.
b. Offer an explanation for why the period of the pendulum does not depend upon its displacement from equilibrium.
(Think about average force, average acceleration, average speed, and the length of the path traveled when answering the question).

2. For first part of the lab, offer possible explanations(specific, relevant and likely) for why the experimental value for the acceleration due to gravity might differ from the expected value. Explain how and why the error might have affected your results.

3. According to the best-fit line for the velocity-time graph, what is the initial velocity of the basketball? How does the initial velocity of the basketball affect its acceleration, time to fall and final velocity? Justify answers(Neglect air resistance)

4. (We graphed the results for the ball)
The acceleration of an object in free-fall is constant and is equal to 9.8m/s/s. Are the results shown on your velocity-time graph as expected.(Came out as 8.164 m/s/s for slope of velocity) Offer possible explanations for the error
Some things to think about(i made these up) for number 4
-What effect does air resistance have on the acceleration of a falling object?
-Several groups had to do a second trial because the paper ripped while the ball was falling. What might this indicate about additional forces acting on the ball?
-What effect would additional forces acting on the ball have on its net force and on the acceleration?

Homework Equations

T = 2pisquare root of (L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Should i post my calculations/results? It seems this can be done without them.

I do not expect fully answered questions. If i can get some help on them (where to start etc.,) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i know i didnt provide much of a solution but someone can please help out a little?

are you not responding because i don't have any answers? i will have them by tommorow

buup

someone please help a little bit, it is due tommorow

Related to Pendulum & Basketball Lab(Accelration due to gravity)

1. What is the purpose of the Pendulum & Basketball Lab?

The purpose of the Pendulum & Basketball Lab is to measure the acceleration due to gravity using two different methods: a pendulum and a basketball. This lab allows students to gain a better understanding of the concept of acceleration due to gravity and how it can be measured in real-life scenarios.

2. How does the pendulum method measure acceleration due to gravity?

In the pendulum method, a pendulum is set in motion and the time it takes for one full swing is measured. By using the formula T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, the value of g can be calculated.

3. How does the basketball method measure acceleration due to gravity?

In the basketball method, a basketball is dropped from a known height and the time it takes to reach the ground is measured. Using the formula d=1/2gt^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time, the value of g can be calculated.

4. What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab include human error in measuring the time and distance, air resistance affecting the motion of the pendulum and basketball, and imprecise measurements of the length of the pendulum or the height from which the basketball is dropped.

5. How can this lab be modified for different levels of difficulty?

This lab can be modified for different levels of difficulty by changing the length of the pendulum or the height from which the basketball is dropped. Shorter pendulums or higher drop heights will result in shorter periods and times, making it more challenging to accurately measure and calculate the acceleration due to gravity.