Peer-Reviewed Papers on Earth's Magnetic Field & Sun's 11-Year Cycle

In summary, the conversation discussed finding evidence to support the Earth's magnetic field flipping, its strength and the forces driving this change. Additionally, papers on the sun's 11-year cycle and the forces driving this cycle were also mentioned. The topic of 2012 'end of world' discussions was also mentioned, with citations provided by Wikipedia as a potential starting point.
Routaran
Hey all,
i was having a dicussion with a friend of mine and i wanted some evidence to support my position as indicated by the title.

I was hoping someone here could help me find some peer reviewed papers published on how long it takes for the Earth's magnetic field to flip, what happens to its strength and the forces within the Earth that drive this change.

papers on the sun's 11 year cycle, what it does during the solar minimum & maximum and the forces that drive this cycle.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Peer-Reviewed Papers on Earth's Magnetic Field & Sun's 11-Year Cycle

What is a peer-reviewed paper?

A peer-reviewed paper is a scientific paper that has been evaluated and approved by other experts in the same field before being published. This process ensures that the research is of high quality and meets the standards of the scientific community.

What is Earth's magnetic field?

Earth's magnetic field is a protective shield that surrounds the planet and deflects the charged particles from the sun, called solar wind. The magnetic field is generated by the movement of the Earth's liquid iron core, creating a magnetic north and south pole.

What is the sun's 11-year cycle?

The sun goes through a cycle of magnetic activity that lasts approximately 11 years. During this cycle, the number of sunspots and solar flares increases and decreases, and the sun's magnetic field changes in strength and direction. This cycle has an impact on Earth's magnetic field and can also affect our climate and technological systems.

How does the sun's 11-year cycle affect Earth's magnetic field?

The sun's 11-year cycle can cause fluctuations in Earth's magnetic field. During periods of high solar activity, the magnetic field of the sun is stronger and can interact with Earth's magnetic field, causing disturbances such as geomagnetic storms. These storms can affect communication and navigation systems, as well as the aurora borealis.

Why is it important to study the relationship between Earth's magnetic field and the sun's 11-year cycle?

Studying the relationship between Earth's magnetic field and the sun's 11-year cycle is important because it helps us understand the dynamics and behavior of our planet's magnetic field. It also allows us to better predict and prepare for the effects of solar activity on Earth's magnetic field and our technological systems. This research can also provide insights into the sun's role in climate change and its potential impact on our planet.