Peak rectifier - conduction interval

In summary, the diode only conducts during the intervals where the input voltage is above the voltage stored on the smoothing capacitor, and it does so to prevent excessive current draw from the load.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I am confused about how they got the expression:
VPcos(ωΔt)=VP-Vr

Specifically you can find the notes in page 5 of this article:
http://whites.sdsmt.edu/classes/ee320/notes/320Lecture8.pdf

You may also find it useful to refer to the graphs as a reference.

Shouldn't the expression be:
VPcos(ωT)-VPcos(ωtd)=VP-Vr

Since we want the voltage difference between the points td and T.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've had little response because you make it a little hard to help you.
I agree with your conclusion. Didn't look into it any further to see how it influences the results

Hello, can someone please explain me why does the diode ONLY conduct in that interval? Thanks

BVR said:
Hello, can someone please explain me why does the diode ONLY conduct in that interval? Thanks
Welcome to the PF.

I didn't look much at the article, but the diodes in the rectifier only conduct when their cathode voltage drops to about 1.4V (twice the 0.7V diode drop, because there are two conducting diodes in series with the input waveform) below their anode voltage. That only happens for the part of the AC cycle near the peak voltages, because that's the only time that the input voltage value is above the voltage value stored on the top of the smoothing capacitor.

If there is no output current into a load, there will be no conduction at the peaks of the input waveform because the storage cap will just stay charged up to the peak input voltage minus about 1.4V.

BVR said:
An ideal diode only conducts if the forward voltage difference is greater than zero, i.e. if the blue line threatens to go above the red line.
Berk refers to a more realistic case where a diode conducts but with a voltage drop of approximately 0.7 V (google diode characteristics).
(And he also appears to think of a bridge rectifier) .

Likes berkeman

Related to Peak rectifier - conduction interval

1. What is a peak rectifier?

A peak rectifier is an electronic device used to convert an alternating current (AC) input signal into a direct current (DC) output signal. It utilizes diode(s) to only allow the positive portion of the input signal to pass through, resulting in a pulsating DC output.

2. What is the conduction interval of a peak rectifier?

The conduction interval of a peak rectifier refers to the time period during which the diode(s) are conducting and allowing the positive portion of the input signal to pass through. This typically occurs during the positive half of the AC input cycle.

3. How is the conduction interval of a peak rectifier determined?

The conduction interval of a peak rectifier is determined by the circuit design and the characteristics of the diode(s) used. It can also be controlled by adjusting the input signal frequency and amplitude.

4. What is the significance of the conduction interval in a peak rectifier?

The conduction interval is important because it determines the amount of time during which the diode(s) conduct and allow the input signal to pass through. This affects the output DC voltage and ripple voltage, as well as the efficiency of the peak rectifier.

5. Are there any limitations to the conduction interval in a peak rectifier?

Yes, there are limitations to the conduction interval in a peak rectifier. If the conduction interval is too short, the output DC voltage will be lower and the efficiency will be reduced. If the conduction interval is too long, the output DC voltage may become unstable and the diode(s) may overheat. Therefore, it is important to carefully design and control the conduction interval in a peak rectifier circuit.