Pdf of sum of two random variables problem

In summary, the conversation is about the topic of Probability and Random Process and the difficulty in understanding the probability density function for the sum and product of two random variables. The question also mentions difficulties with determining the solutions and where to find resources online. The conversation also delves into discussing the integration process and how to determine the bounds for computing the PDF of W=X+Y. Ultimately, the integration bounds are determined to be from -infinity to infinity and the minimum and maximum values for x are discussed.
fourieranalys
Hi, everybody.

My problem is about Probability and Random Process.

i can't understand the probability density function of sum of two random variables and function of product of two random variables.

Here is my question with a part of a solution:

how can i find these problems solutions and where can i study on the internet ?
Yeni Bit E?lem Resmi (2).JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly don't you understand? This is a theorem that is been applied along with a simple integration..

why integral goes to 0 and w, how can i determine the bounds of that integral ? how can i determine the shaded area for computing the PDF of W=X+Y ?

The integration bounds was supposed to be from -infinity to infinity; bascially the minimum x and maximum x. X is at least 0. X= W-y. So x is at most W; corresponding to y=0.

Related to Pdf of sum of two random variables problem

1. What is the Pdf of sum of two random variables?

The Pdf (Probability density function) of the sum of two random variables is a mathematical function that describes the probability of obtaining a particular sum value from the two variables. It is often used in probability and statistics to analyze the behavior of two or more random variables together.

2. How is the Pdf of sum of two random variables calculated?

The Pdf of sum of two random variables can be calculated by convolving the individual Pdfs of the two variables. This involves integrating the product of the two individual Pdfs over all possible values of the sum variable.

3. What is the significance of the Pdf of sum of two random variables?

The Pdf of sum of two random variables is important in understanding the joint behavior of two variables and how their sum can impact the overall probability distribution. It is also useful in making predictions and analyzing the likelihood of certain outcomes.

4. Can the Pdf of sum of two random variables be used to find the mean and variance of the sum?

Yes, the Pdf of sum of two random variables can be used to find the mean and variance of the sum. The mean of the sum is equal to the sum of the individual means, and the variance of the sum is equal to the sum of the individual variances, plus twice the covariance between the two variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Pdf of sum of two random variables?

One limitation of using the Pdf of sum of two random variables is that it assumes that the two variables are independent. If the variables are not independent, then the Pdf may not accurately represent the actual behavior of the sum. Additionally, the calculation of the Pdf may become more complex if there are more than two variables involved.