PDF highest density interval sketches

In summary: The graphs for all three questions would have similar shapes, resembling the function e^{-x^2}. In summary, the probability density function for the highest density intervals would take the form of a bell-shaped curve with one or more maximum points, depending on the number of intervals and their ranges. The curves would be symmetric about the midpoints of each interval. The graphs would resemble the function e^{-x^2} and would have intercepts, maximum and minimum points at specific values depending on the interval ranges. More information is needed to accurately label the graphs.
SirEllwood
1. Sketch a probability density function for which the highest density interval (HDI) takes the form:

(i) (a, b)
(ii) (a, b) U (c, d)
(iii) (a, b) U (c, d) U (e, f).
where a < b < c < d < e < f.

3. Now i believe that the graphs are going to look something like like e^{-x^2}, x^2*e^{-x^2), (x^2-1)^2*e^{-x^2} for the 3 questions respectively? But I am not sure how i am going to label my graphs with regard to the intercepts, and maximum and minimum points etc.

Anybody shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. (i) The probability density function for this HDI would take the form of a bell-shaped curve with its maximum point at x = (a+b)/2, and an inflection point at x = (b+c)/2. The curve would be symmetric about the line x = (a+b)/2. 2. (ii) The probability density function for this HDI would take the form of a double bell-shaped curve with two maximum points at x = (a+b)/2 and x = (c+d)/2 respectively. The curve would be symmetric about the lines x = (a+b)/2 and x = (c+d)/2. 3. (iii) The probability density function for this HDI would take the form of a triple bell-shaped curve with three maximum points at x = (a+b)/2, x = (c+d)/2 and x = (e+f)/2 respectively. The curve would be symmetric about the lines x = (a+b)/2, x = (c+d)/2, and x = (e+f)/2.

Related to PDF highest density interval sketches

1. What is a PDF highest density interval sketch?

A PDF highest density interval (HDI) sketch is a graphical representation of a probability density function (PDF) that shows the range of values with the highest probability of occurrence. It is used to visualize and analyze data distributions.

2. How is a PDF highest density interval sketch created?

A PDF HDI sketch is created by plotting the PDF of a data set and identifying the range of values that contain the highest density of data points. This range is then highlighted on the graph, usually with shading or a thicker line, to indicate the HDI.

3. What is the significance of a PDF highest density interval sketch?

A PDF HDI sketch is useful for understanding the shape of a data distribution and identifying the most likely range of values for a given set of data. It can also be used to compare different data sets and assess their similarities and differences in terms of their HDIs.

4. How can a PDF highest density interval sketch be interpreted?

The HDI on a PDF sketch represents the range of values that contain the highest probability of occurrence for a given data set. This means that values falling within the HDI are considered to be the most likely or most representative of the data distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to using a PDF highest density interval sketch?

While a PDF HDI sketch can provide valuable insights into data distributions, it is important to note that it is a simplified representation and may not capture all the nuances of the data. Additionally, the HDI may be affected by the size and shape of the data set, so it should be interpreted with caution and in conjunction with other statistical measures.