PDE with variable boundary condition

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using the combination method to solve a PDE with a variable boundary condition. The person is seeking advice for an alternative method, and the suggestion is to use Laplace.
jafanasim

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve this PDE with variable boundary condition, and I want to use combination method. But I have problem with the second boundary condition, which is not transformed to the new variable. Can you please give me some advise?

Homework Equations

(∂^2 T)/(∂x^2 )=1/∝ ∂T/∂t
IC: T(x,0) = Ti
BC1: T(x→∞, t) = Ti
BC2: -k ∂T/∂x|x=0 = h[T∞ - T(0,t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

The combination variable I chose is η= x/((4∝t)^(1⁄2))

My work is attached in a PDF file, please take a look at it. The highlighted boundary condition is the problem.

Thank you

Attachments

• Combination.pdf
    69.9 KB · Views: 271
Physics news on Phys.org
That method does not work with that sort of boundary condition: you can't express [itex]\partial \eta/\partial x[/itex] as a function of [itex]\eta[/itex].

pasmith said:
That method does not work with that sort of boundary condition: you can't express [itex]\partial \eta/\partial x[/itex] as a function of [itex]\eta[/itex].

Thank you. What method should I choose? Laplace?

jafanasim said:
Thank you. What method should I choose? Laplace?

That would be the obvious choice.

Related to PDE with variable boundary condition

What is a PDE with variable boundary condition?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) with variable boundary condition is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its partial derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables, while taking into account changing boundary conditions.

Why are PDEs with variable boundary conditions important?

PDEs with variable boundary conditions are important because they allow for more realistic and accurate modeling of physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields. These phenomena often involve changing boundary conditions, which cannot be accurately represented by traditional PDEs with constant boundary conditions.

What are some common examples of PDEs with variable boundary conditions?

Some common examples of PDEs with variable boundary conditions include the heat equation, Navier-Stokes equations, and Maxwell's equations. These equations are used to model heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields, respectively.

How are PDEs with variable boundary conditions solved?

Solving PDEs with variable boundary conditions often involves using numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, or spectral methods. These methods discretize the PDE into smaller, solvable equations and then use iterative techniques to find a numerical solution.

What are the challenges of solving PDEs with variable boundary conditions?

The main challenges of solving PDEs with variable boundary conditions include selecting appropriate numerical methods, dealing with complex boundary conditions, and ensuring numerical stability and accuracy. Additionally, the high dimensionality and nonlinearity of these equations can make them difficult to solve analytically.