PDE with constant coefficient using orthogonal transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving a first order partial differential equation with constant coefficients, specifically using orthogonal transformation and geometric methods. The speaker's professor uses a method involving finding a rotation matrix and transforming the equation into a single variable ODE, while the speaker is wondering if this same approach can be applied to a PDE with a fourth variable.
sara_math
Plz Help :(

Hi

I want 2 know how 2 solve 1st order partial differintial equation (PDE) with constant coefficient using orthogonal transformation

example :
solve: 2Ux + 2Uy + Uz = 0

THnx :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would tackle this one geometrcially. You can express the left side of your PDE in terms of a directional derivative, as follows:

[tex]D_{\vec{v}}u=0[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\nabla}u=0[/tex]

Now let me ask you something:

Can you identify [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]? Can you figure out the lines along which [itex]u[/itex] is constant?

Thnx sir

but the dr. who teach me, didn't use this way with us

when we have aUx+bUy+cU=f , where a,b,c,f are constants
he take tan(r)=b/a
then he find r
after that take w=xcosr+ysinr , t=-xsinr+ycosr
then find Ux , Uy
that's it

so if i have aUx+bUy+cUz+dU=f
can i take same w, t and z=z ?

My approach is not much different from your professor's.

This equation:

aUx+bUy+cU=f , where a,b,c,f are constants

can be written in the following form.

[tex]D_{\vec{v}}u+cu=f[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{v}=<a,b>[/itex].

he take tan(r)=b/a
then he find r
after that take w=xcosr+ysinr , t=-xsinr+ycosr
then find Ux , Uy

What your instructor did was rotate the x-axis so that it coincides with the vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]. In that coordinate system there is only one independent variable, and so you effectively have an ODE. The rotation matrix that carries [itex]\{x,y\}[/itex] into [itex]\{w,t\}[/itex] is given by the following.

[tex]R_{z}(r) = \left[\begin{array}{cc} \cos(r) & \sin(r)\\ -\sin(r) & \cos(r) \end{array}\right][/tex]

that's it

No, that's not it. All that does is transform the equation. It still remains to solve it.

so if i have aUx+bUy+cUz+dU=f
can i take same w, t and z=z ?

You will want to do a rotation about some axis so that one coordinate axis is parallel to [itex]\vec{v}=<a,b,c>[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to PDE with constant coefficient using orthogonal transformation

1. What is a PDE with constant coefficient?

A PDE (partial differential equation) with constant coefficient is a type of PDE where the coefficients in front of the partial derivatives do not depend on the independent variables. This means that the coefficients remain constant throughout the equation and do not change with respect to the variables.

2. What is an orthogonal transformation?

An orthogonal transformation is a type of linear transformation that preserves the length and angle of vectors. In other words, the transformation does not change the distance between points or the orientation of vectors. This type of transformation is often used in solving PDEs with constant coefficients because it simplifies the equations and makes it easier to find solutions.

3. How is an orthogonal transformation used to solve PDEs with constant coefficients?

An orthogonal transformation is used to transform a PDE with constant coefficients into a simpler form, such as a system of ordinary differential equations. This simplification allows for easier solution of the PDE using techniques such as separation of variables or Fourier series.

4. What are the advantages of using an orthogonal transformation to solve PDEs with constant coefficients?

Using an orthogonal transformation to solve PDEs with constant coefficients can lead to simpler equations and easier solution methods. It also allows for the use of techniques such as separation of variables and Fourier series, which are well-established methods for solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using orthogonal transformation to solve PDEs with constant coefficients?

While using orthogonal transformation can simplify the solution process for PDEs with constant coefficients, it may not always be applicable or the most efficient method. In some cases, other techniques such as Laplace transforms or numerical methods may be more effective. Additionally, not all PDEs with constant coefficients can be transformed into simpler forms using orthogonal transformation.