PDE Charactersitic equations colliding and shocks concepts

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of shocks in relation to characteristic equations and initial conditions. A shock occurs when two sets of characteristics collide and the collision point acts as the initial condition for the shock curve. For the given initial data, all curves meet at (1,1) and the set of characteristics between 0<s<1 converge to (1,1) and then diverge from it. The conversation also addresses the difficulty in determining the change to the right of the shock curve due to the different sets of characteristics.
binbagsss

I'm new to shocks and trying to get the hang of it.
I have 3 sets of characteristic equations,( by a set I mean defined by taking a different fixed value u along the characteristic.)

From what I understand,in general talk, we use a shock whenever two sets of characteristics collide as otherwise u=u(x,t) would be multi-valued:

*The shock - x(t)- begins at the first collision , and the collision point acts as the initial condition for the shock curve. The shock curve remains given by the same equation until there is a change in characteristic equation to the right of the shock curve. When this occurs the new shock curve is computed subject to the u+- limits at this point where the change occurs, and this point now acting as the initial condition...

Questions:

For Burgers equation subject to u(x,0) = 1 for x<0, 1-x for 0<x<1, 0 for x>1.

1) For this initial data, all curves meet at (1,1). Which set of the characteristic equations do we then treat as colliding - in attaining u+ and u-( Am I correct in thinking that u+ has to be given by u=0. but for u- don't we have a choice between u=1 and u=1-x ?)

2) The set of characteristics between 0<s<1 converge to (1,1) and then diverge from it. Am I correct in thinking that nothing needs to be dealt with here? I.e- self-crossing characteristics is not a issue because there is no problem with u being multi-valued.

3) For these initial conditions , I'm struggling to apply * - to the right of (1,1) . For example if I attain my shock curve at (1,1) by using u+=0 and 'choosing' u-= 1 i get the shock curve t=2x-1. This lies exactly on the characteristic given by s=1/2. That is it leaves half of this set to the left of it, so they are dealt with it. But half to right. So to the right we have these and the vertical lines given by u=0. From what I can make out at exactly (1,1) the initial condition is correct, but as soon as I begin to 'travel' along the shock t=2x-1, I can not interpret whether the change to the right of the curve is due to the line u=x-1 or u=0 (since by varying s continuously we can make either set of characteristics arbitrarily close to the shock curve). Thanks in advance for any assistance , extremely appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
bump. please. your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Related to PDE Charactersitic equations colliding and shocks concepts

1. What is a PDE characteristic equation?

A PDE (partial differential equation) characteristic equation is a mathematical equation that is used to find solutions to a PDE. It is derived from the coefficients of the PDE and helps to determine the characteristics of the equation.

2. How do PDE characteristic equations relate to collisions?

PDE characteristic equations are often used in physics to model collisions between particles. They help to predict the behavior of the particles during the collision and determine the resulting outcomes.

3. What are shocks in the context of PDE characteristic equations?

Shocks in PDE characteristic equations refer to sudden and discontinuous changes in the solution. They are often seen in equations that model fluid flow and can indicate the formation of shock waves.

4. How are shocks handled in PDE characteristic equations?

Shocks can be handled in PDE characteristic equations by using numerical methods to approximate the solution. These methods can account for the discontinuities and provide a more accurate solution.

5. Can PDE characteristic equations be applied to other fields besides physics?

Yes, PDE characteristic equations have applications in various fields such as engineering, finance, and biology. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, making them a valuable tool in many different areas of study.