PDE Characteristic Curve Method

In summary: In the first case, we get the solution u=y-ax+1, and in the second case, we get the solution u=-y+ax+1. Therefore, the final solution is given by u=\frac{y}{q_0}-\frac{ax}{q_0}+1.In summary, to solve the given PDE subject to the initial condition u(x,0)=1, we let u_x=p and u_y=q, and we obtain the equations x'=2p_0, y'=2q_0, and u'=p_0^2+q_0^2
jameson2

Homework Statement

Solve [tex] u_x^2+u_y^2=1 [/tex] subject to [tex] u(x, ax)=1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I let [tex] u_x=p [/tex] and[tex]u_y=q [/tex]and[tex] F=p^2 +q^2 -1=0 [/tex] Then x'=2p, y'=2q, u'=p.2p+q.2q=2, and p'=0=q'. So [tex] p=p_0, q=q_0 [/tex] are constants. I got [tex] x'=2p_0, y'=2q_0 [/tex] and integrating the equations for x',y',u' I get [tex] x=2p_0s+x_0[/tex] [tex] y=2q_0s + y_0 [/tex]and [tex] u=2s+u_0 [/tex] I'm not sure when it comes to implementing the initial condition. I think that I can say that [tex] u_x(x,ax)=p_0=0[/tex] which gives q=+1 or -1 from the condition of F=0. Can I then fill in [tex] x_0, ax_0, 1 [/tex] for the initial values of x, y and u respectively? In the end I get an answer [tex] u=\frac{y}{q_0}-\frac{ax}{q_0}+1 [/tex]. Firstly, I'm not sure what to do when [tex] q_0[/tex] can have two values. Also, when I fill in my answer into the original PDE I get that a must be zero, which can't be right.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your solution attempt. Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few errors and inconsistencies that need to be addressed. Let's go through them one by one.

Firstly, in your attempt, you have incorrectly stated the initial condition as u(x,ax)=1. The correct initial condition should be u(x,0)=1, since we are solving the PDE at y=0. This will give us the value of u at x=0, which is needed to solve the problem.

Next, when you let u_x=p and u_y=q, you have defined the derivative of u with respect to x and y, respectively. However, in your subsequent steps, you have used u' to represent the derivative of u with respect to s, which is incorrect. The correct notation would be u_s.

Furthermore, when you wrote the equations for x', y', and u', you have missed out the term involving the constant p_0 and q_0. The correct equations should be x'=2p_0, y'=2q_0, and u'=p_0^2+q_0^2-1=0.

Now, when you integrate the equations for x', y', and u', you should get x=p_0s+x_0, y=q_0s+y_0, and u=p_0^2s+q_0^2s+u_0. Notice that the constants x_0 and y_0 have been included in the equations, as they represent the initial values of x and y, respectively.

Next, you have mentioned that p'=0 and q'=0, which is incorrect. The correct equations for p' and q' should be p'=2p_0 and q'=2q_0, respectively.

Now, when you use the initial condition u(x,0)=1, you will get the following equations:

x=p_0s+x_0, y=q_0s+y_0, and u=p_0^2s+q_0^2s+u_0=1.

Substituting these values into the original PDE, we get the following equation:

p_0^2+q_0^2=1.

Now, we need to consider the two possible cases for p_0 and q_0, i.e., when p_0=

Related to PDE Characteristic Curve Method

1. What is PDE Characteristic Curve Method?

PDE Characteristic Curve Method is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) by transforming them into ordinary differential equations (ODEs) along specified curves in the domain of the PDE. This method is especially useful for solving first-order linear PDEs.

2. How does PDE Characteristic Curve Method work?

The method involves determining a set of characteristic curves in the domain of the PDE, along which the PDE can be transformed into an ODE. These curves are obtained by solving a system of ordinary differential equations derived from the PDE. Once the PDE is transformed into an ODE, standard techniques can be used to solve it and obtain a general solution for the original PDE.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using this method?

PDE Characteristic Curve Method can be applied to first-order linear PDEs, both homogeneous and non-homogeneous. It can also be used for second-order linear PDEs with constant coefficients, as well as some non-linear PDEs.

4. What are the advantages of using PDE Characteristic Curve Method?

This method can simplify the solution process for certain types of PDEs, as it reduces them to ODEs which are generally easier to solve. It also allows for the determination of general solutions, as opposed to specific solutions obtained through other methods. Additionally, it can be applied to a wide range of PDEs.

5. Are there any limitations to PDE Characteristic Curve Method?

PDE Characteristic Curve Method may not be applicable to all types of PDEs, especially non-linear ones. It also requires a certain level of mathematical proficiency to determine the characteristic curves and solve the resulting ODEs. Additionally, this method may not yield explicit solutions and may require further manipulation to obtain a closed-form solution.