PC Automatically Loads Previous Surfing Tabs

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of a computer automatically loading tabs from the previous internet session and why this may happen. It is explained that this is a setting in browsers such as Chrome and Firefox, and it may be related to Norton Ghost. The conversation also mentions that the "start with previous session" option may cause issues with logging onto a previous server and that clearing the cache may not necessarily solve the problem. The conversation also delves into the topic of data collection and how one can throw it off by doing random searches. Finally, there is a playful exchange about puns and a possible German reference.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Just curious: every time I connect , go online, my PC automatically loads
all the tabs from my previous internet session. Why is it doing this?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is a setting in chrome and firefox: start previous session.

Likes WWGD
I see, a restriction of sorts , of Norton Ghost, to web surfing. Thanks.

Would that, the settings to reload previous session, explain problems in that PC is trying to logon to server I used in previous session?

WWGD said:
Would that, the settings to reload previous session, explain problems in that PC is trying to logon to server I used in previous session?
I guess this depends on your and/or the cookie settings of the login page. If the page automatically logs you off, then the "start with previous session" option will either get you on the login page, wants you to resend the query information or might struggle to find the correct entry point, which might also depend on the programming code. Some webpages automatically redirect to their index page, if the information for specific pages isn't available anymore and others simply send a 404.

fresh_42 said:
I guess this depends on your and/or the cookie settings of the login page. If the page automatically logs you off, then the "start with previous session" option will either get you on the login page, wants you to resend the query information or might struggle to find the correct entry point, which might also depend on the programming code. Some webpages automatically redirect to their index page, if the information for specific pages isn't available anymore and others simply send a 404.
I log of at the end of each session, and then turn the machine off. So I imagine cache is emptied.

I wouldn't bet. I empty my Chrome history from time to time and it is always around 500 MB or more. Maybe it's different for FF, which I stopped using because it loaded everything in one process which soon got so large, that one had to regularly quit the program and restart it. As I've been annoyed long enough, I switched to Chrome, which has a better load distribution. The disadvantage (and also advantage) is, that it remembers basically everything. I know its mama is a huge data collector but I don't care. Shall they get happy with it.

fresh_42 said:
I wouldn't bet. I empty my Chrome history from time to time and it is always around 500 MB or more. Maybe it's different for FF, which I stopped using because it loaded everything in one process which soon got so large, that one had to regularly quit the program and restart it. As I've been annoyed long enough, I switched to Chrome, which has a better load distribution. The disadvantage (and also advantage) is, that it remembers basically everything. I know its mama is a huge data collector but I don't care. Shall they get happy with it.
You can always throw the data collection off by doing random searches when, e.g., you take a bathroom or otherwise break: Albanian Puppetry, 13th century Mongolian coins, then NASCAR, Kasperle guignol, etc. Let them fit that into any ML algorithm.

WWGD said:
You can always throw the data collection off by doing random searches when, e.g., you take a bathroom or otherwise break: Albanian Puppetry, 13th century Mongolian coins, then NASCAR, Kasperle guignol, etc. Let them fit that into any ML algorithm.
So it is you, who is responsible for the 83 hits I got for "underwater biathlon"?! :-p

fresh_42 said:
So it is you, who is responsible for the 83 hits I got for "underwater biathlon"?!
Yes, as well as for my motto : " One is a Crowd".

WWGD said:
You really shouldn't say this to a German ...

fresh_42 said:
You really shouldn't say this to a German ...
Sorry, not getting the reference.

WWGD said:
Reminds me on a pun I recently read:

My morning ritual.
I wake up and wished I was dead.
Then I drink a coffee and wished all others were.

Likes stoomart
WWGD said:
Sorry, not getting the reference.
Crowd = Kraut

Likes WWGD
fresh_42 said:
Crowd = Kraut
Wow, I thought I had the worse possible puns, but you beat me on that one.

Likes fresh_42

Related to PC Automatically Loads Previous Surfing Tabs

1. Why does my PC automatically load previous surfing tabs?

The most likely reason for this is because your browser has a feature called "session restore" or "continue where you left off" enabled. This allows your browser to save your open tabs and reload them when you open your browser again.

2. Can I disable this automatic loading of previous tabs?

Yes, you can disable this feature in your browser settings. For example, in Google Chrome, you can go to Settings > On startup > Open a specific page or set of pages > click "Set pages" and remove the URLs of the tabs you don't want to automatically load.

3. Will disabling this feature affect my browsing experience?

It may affect your browsing experience if you frequently use the same tabs or need to access specific tabs quickly. However, it can also improve your browsing speed and reduce memory usage.

4. Are there any other reasons why my PC might automatically load previous surfing tabs?

Another possible reason is that you have a browser extension or plugin that is causing this behavior. Try disabling any recently installed extensions or plugins to see if that solves the issue.

5. How can I restore my tabs if I accidentally closed my browser without saving them?

Most browsers have a feature called "Recently closed tabs" or "History" where you can find a list of recently closed tabs and restore them. In Google Chrome, you can access this by right-clicking on the tab bar and selecting "Reopen closed tab" or by pressing Ctrl+Shift+T.