Pauli Matrices: Calculating Expression

In summary, the expression for the Pauli matrices can be obtained by explicitly calculating the matrix elements of the Sz, Sx, and Sy operators using rules about angular momentum operators. The equations for finding the x and y matrices are similar to the one for the z matrix, and can be evaluated using the inner products of z-basis eigenstates.
Amok
Hey guys,

I was wondering how to get the expression for pauli matrices. I know that for one electron:

[tex] S_i = \frac{\hbar}{2} \sigma_i [/tex]

But I also know that you can get to the above expression by explicitly calculating the matrix elements of the Sz, Sx and Sy operators (in the basis generated by Sz and S and composed of two vectors) by using a few rules about angular momentum operators, I just don't remember how exactly. Anyone can help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, but what equations should you use to find the x and y matrices? The z one is the easiest.

You can write [itex]S_{x}[/itex] and [itex]S_{y}[/itex] just like [itex]S_{z}[/itex].
[tex]
S_{x}=\frac{\hbar}{2}|\uparrow\rangle \langle \uparrow |-\frac{\hbar}{2}|\downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |
[/tex]
Then if you hit this from both sides with z-basis eigenstates you can evaluate the inner products as [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] or [itex]i/\sqrt{2}[/itex] etc...

Related to Pauli Matrices: Calculating Expression

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of 2x2 matrices that were first introduced by physicist Wolfgang Pauli to describe the spin of a particle. They are commonly denoted by the symbols σ1, σ2, and σ3, and each matrix is made up of complex numbers.

2. How are Pauli matrices used in calculating expressions?

Pauli matrices are used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles in three-dimensional space. They can be used to calculate various properties of particles, such as their energy levels and transition probabilities.

3. What is the significance of the Pauli exclusion principle in relation to Pauli matrices?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. Pauli matrices are used to represent the spin states of fermions, making them an essential tool in understanding the implications of the exclusion principle.

4. How do you calculate the determinant of a Pauli matrix?

The determinant of a Pauli matrix can be calculated by taking the product of its main diagonal elements and subtracting the product of its off-diagonal elements. For example, the determinant of σ1 would be (1)(-1) - (0)(0) = -1.

5. Can Pauli matrices be used to solve problems in classical mechanics?

While Pauli matrices were originally developed for use in quantum mechanics, they can also be used in classical mechanics. They have applications in statistical mechanics, fluid dynamics, and other areas of physics.