How is Graphene's Hamiltonian rotationally invariant?

In summary: This is a symmetry transformation.In summary, the Hamiltonian of graphene does not seem to be invariant under simple spatial rotations due to the first order derivatives contained within it. However, upon reading further, it is discovered that a rotation must also be performed on the Pauli matrices that appear with these operators in order for the Hamiltonian to remain invariant. This can be achieved through a rotation of the pseudospin coordinate system or through a formal expression involving the rotation operator. This is not a gauge transformation, but rather a symmetry transformation.
Type1civ
Graphene's Hamiltonian contains first order derivatives (from the momentum operators) which aren't invariant under simple spatial rotations. So it initially appears to me that it isn't invariant under rotation. From reading around I see that we also have to perform a rotation on the Pauli matrices that always appear with these operators which would then leave the Hamiltonian invariant. I don't understand how to do this rotation or why this is the case? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you refer to a hamiltonian of the form ##H=p\cdot \sigma=2(p_+ \sigma_-+p_- \sigma_+)## with ##p_\pm=(p_x\pm i p_y)/2## and ##\sigma_\pm=(\sigma_x\pm i\sigma_y)/2##. Upon rotation, ##p_\pm## gets multiplied with a phase factor. This can be compensated multiplying ##\sigma_\pm## with a phase factor, too. This is an example of a gauge transformation as it corresponds to multiplication of the electronic states with a phase factor, which is not directly observable.

There're two approaches here.

First is to notice that the specific presentation of the Pauli matrices is not predetermined. As long as those matrices satisfy the correct commutation and anti-commutation relations, ## [\sigma_i, \sigma_j] = 2i \epsilon_{ijk}\sigma_k ## and ## \{\sigma_i, \sigma_j \} = \delta_{ij} ##, they would do. For example, there's nothing wrong in choosing
$$
\sigma_x = \frac{1}{4}
\begin{pmatrix}
\sqrt{6} & 2 + i \sqrt{6} \\
2 - i \sqrt{6} & -\sqrt{6}
\end{pmatrix},
\sigma_y = \frac{1}{4}
\begin{pmatrix}
-\sqrt{2} & \sqrt{10 - i 4 \sqrt{6}} \\
\sqrt{10 + i 4 \sqrt{6}} & \sqrt{2}
\end{pmatrix},
\sigma_z = \frac{1}{2}
\begin{pmatrix}
\sqrt{2} & - i \sqrt{2} \\
i \sqrt{2} & - \sqrt{2}
\end{pmatrix}.
$$
The question is just what's the meaning of the components of the spinor. When we choose ## \sigma_z = diag(1, -1)## the components correspond to amplitudes to be at different sub-lattices, ##\psi_{1,2}##. But one can orient the quantization axis in any way one wants. What if I want the components to be symmetric and antisymmetric combinations of #\psi_{1,2}#. I can do that but the form of the ##\sigma## matrices will change. The representation above, for instance, corresponds to some specific choice of the quantization axis.

This has the direct relation to the rotational symmetry of graphene's Hamiltonian ## H = p_i \sigma_i##. After rotation around the ##z## axis, we have
$$
\widehat{R}(\theta) H = p_i \widetilde{\sigma}_i.
$$
So, we got Hamiltonian with slightly modified ##\sigma## matrices. if we ask ourselves, what do these new ##\widetilde{\sigma}## matrices correspond to, we'll see that they take this form if we rotate the pseudospin coordinate system around the ##z## axis. This makes sense: if we rotate the system, we need to rotate all objects, including spinors.

The second approach is to notice right away that
$$
\widehat{R}(\theta) H = e^{i \sigma_z \theta/2}H e^{-i \sigma_z \theta/2},
$$
which formally expresses the argument above.

And, of course, this is not a gauge transformation.

Related to How is Graphene's Hamiltonian rotationally invariant?

1. What is Hamiltonian in relation to graphene?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the energy of a physical system. In the context of graphene, the Hamiltonian describes the energy of the electrons in the material.

2. Why is it important for Graphene's Hamiltonian to be rotationally invariant?

Rotation invariance means that the Hamiltonian remains unchanged under rotations, which is crucial for accurately describing the behavior of electrons in graphene. Since graphene is a 2D material with a hexagonal lattice structure, its properties are highly dependent on the orientation of the material. A rotationally invariant Hamiltonian ensures that the electronic properties of graphene are accurately described regardless of the material's orientation.

3. How is Graphene's Hamiltonian rotationally invariant?

The Hamiltonian for graphene is rotationally invariant because it is composed of two terms: the kinetic energy term and the potential energy term. The kinetic energy term is rotationally invariant because it only depends on the momentum of the electrons, which is not affected by rotations. The potential energy term is also rotationally invariant because it only depends on the distance between the atoms in the graphene lattice, which remains constant under rotations.

4. What are the consequences if Graphene's Hamiltonian is not rotationally invariant?

If the Hamiltonian for graphene is not rotationally invariant, it would mean that the electronic properties of graphene would change depending on the orientation of the material. This would make it difficult to accurately predict and understand the behavior of electrons in graphene, which is crucial for its use in various applications such as electronics and energy storage.

5. How does the rotationally invariant Hamiltonian affect the electronic properties of graphene?

The rotationally invariant Hamiltonian allows for the unique electronic properties of graphene, such as its high electron mobility and unique band structure, to be accurately described. This is important for understanding and utilizing graphene in various applications, as well as for further research and development in the field of graphene-based materials.