Passing the exam now or getting more prepared?

• Testing
  • Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, a student is deciding when to take their final exam for Physics I. The first date is soon, but they don't feel fully prepared yet. They can take it again in 10 days if they fail, or in February if they fail again. They are unsure if they should take the exam now and risk their average grades being affected, or wait and study more. They also have concerns about their grades affecting their future academic plans. After discussing with others, the student decides to take the exam on December 13th instead.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi PF people,
I'm asking a little question.
We currently didn't finish the Physics I course, but it is near almost finished. There are several dates for the final exam and it's up to me to decide when I will pass it. The first date is 3rd of December thus soon.
Of course I had tests before reaching it and I did well overall. But the grades I got don't count in my average grades, only the final exam does. The final exam is much more complicated that all the tests I passed till now. Furthermore there is also an oral exam and a lab exam (apart from the written one) and the oral exam is really tough : about 4 or 5 professors testing your knowledge on all the covered topics and ability to solve problem instantly. The final exam is succeed if the pupil got at least a 4/10 on the three part of the exam.
I feel that I won't be THAT prepared when the 3rd of December will come, but it's not like I don't know anything. I must do a lot of exercises related to the rigid body and understand some concepts. I basically understood well the other's parts of the course.
If I fail on this exam, I can pass it again like 10 days after and if I fail again I can pass it in February.
So, should I wait and study more to pass it around the 13th of December, and risk not to pass it? Or should I give a try the 3rd of December so that if I fail I'll have a concrete idea about how the exam really is and I might get more ready to pass it the 13th of December?
Personally I prefer to give a try the sooner possible... but my average grades can suffer. I don't really mind in getting a support from the University because as I am a foreigner from a richer country they won't give me money I suppose. But I do care my grades when it comes to go back in France or Canada and apply for a master or doctorate. Currently my average grades is bad (between 5 and 6/10 but I attempted only 6 exams, so it may change a lot during my undergrad studies). On the other hand if I care too much for my grades I wouldn't attempt to final exams until I know the course perfectly... and I would get my degree in about 15 years. (I'm not so exagerating : the bachelor title lasts 5 years and I'm already late 1 year.)
So, should I give a try and don't care that much for my grades or it is better try later when more ready?
Thanks guys :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So only the best score counts towards your average? If that's what your saying, take the test on the 3rd, even if you can't study at all before hand. practice is practice, and that test will be damn good practice. Additionally, it will help quell some anxiety for the next time you take the test, ultimately allowing you to perform better the second time.

So only the best score counts towards your average?
No. The tests doesn't count at all in my average grades. In fact there are 3 tests and if I succeed in 2 of them it simplify (by leaving off one exercise on the final exam) the final exam. I already succeed in 2 tests so the final exam will be 3 exercises. (I mean the written part of the final exam). If I wouldn't have succeed in 2 tests I wouldn't even try to pass the final exam : way too hard. 4 tough exercises in 4 hours while I could have only 3 exercises in 4 hours.
My goal is now to try to succeed in the final coming the 3rd of December. My final Physics I grade (or mark?) will be the average of the written part/lab part and oral part. But if I fail in one of them, I fail it overall even if my average is over 4/10.

So I'll attempt to success in the final of the 3rd of December. I'm not sure I will... so I was wondering if I should take more time to study better and get a higher mark but if I then fail it will be much worse.
I have a question that bother me a bit : what average grades (or marks... I'm not sure about the word, sorry) must I have in order to apply for a master say in quantum mechanics?
Thank you zoner7, I really think I'll try the final exam coming up the 3rd of December. If I fail it will be a positive experience for the next time I'll pass it, but unfortunately my average marks will go down.

I see what you mean... If your average marks will be affected by failing the exam on December 3rd, definitely take it on the 13th; that way you have plenty of time to study (I would start now. A little each day), but if you fail, there will be another opportunity to succeed.

zoner7 said:
I see what you mean... If your average marks will be affected by failing the exam on December 3rd, definitely take it on the 13th; that way you have plenty of time to study (I would start now. A little each day), but if you fail, there will be another opportunity to succeed.
Thanks for the answer... Hmm you're right, it's much wiser. I shouldn't fail on December 13th. Otherwise I'll have to study for February but I also must pass a final of Algebra in February so studying for both is risky. Definitely you changed my mind. :-p I'll pass the final on December the 3rd.

For those who are interested, that was a good advice. I did well (8/10) because I got more prepared. I'm more than sure that I'd have failed if I had passed it the 3rd.
Edit for post #5 :
I'll pass the final on December the 13th.

Last edited:

Related to Passing the exam now or getting more prepared?

1. Should I take the exam now or spend more time preparing?

This is a common question among students who are unsure about their level of preparedness for an exam. The answer depends on various factors such as your current level of understanding, the difficulty of the exam, and your personal study habits. Ultimately, it is up to you to assess your strengths and weaknesses and make a decision based on what you believe will give you the best chance of success.

2. How can I improve my chances of passing the exam?

There are several techniques you can use to improve your chances of passing an exam. These include creating a study schedule, practicing with past exams or sample questions, reviewing your notes and class materials, and seeking help from teachers or tutors if needed. It is also important to get enough rest and eat well before the exam to ensure your mind is sharp and focused.

3. Is it better to cram or study over a longer period of time?

This is a highly debated topic among students. While some may argue that cramming all the information in a short period of time can lead to better retention, others believe that studying over a longer period of time allows for a deeper understanding of the material. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and the type of exam you are taking.

4. How can I manage my time effectively during the exam?

Time management is crucial during an exam, especially if there are multiple sections or questions to complete. Before starting the exam, it is important to read through all the instructions and allocate your time accordingly. Make sure to budget enough time for each section and leave some extra time at the end for reviewing your answers. Prioritizing and staying focused can also help you manage your time effectively.

5. Should I guess on questions I am unsure about?

This is a common question, especially in multiple-choice exams. It is generally recommended to guess on questions you are unsure about, as leaving them blank will guarantee a wrong answer. However, if there is a penalty for wrong answers, it may be better to leave them blank. Make sure to use your best judgement and eliminate any obviously incorrect options before making a guess.