PASCO lab on the interferometer

In summary, the person attempted to measure the index of refraction of a laser using a glass plate perpendicular to the laser, but experienced a distinct interference pattern. The pattern shifted when they changed the angle of the glass plate.
big man
Hey guys,

I did the PASCO lab on the interferometer the other day and just have a problem that I wouldn't mind knowing what caused it.

here is the link to the PASCO lab manual:
http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~johnson/Education/Juniorlab/Optics/Pasco_Interferometers.pdf

Just in case you want to see what we had to do.

Anyway the problem occurred in Experiment 3 in that lab manual.
We had to measure the index of refraction of a laser by placing a glass plate in the arrangement given in the above manual.
Now I did that and tried to make it so that the glass plate was as perpendicular to the laser as I could make it, so as to reduce the effect of the secondary interference pattern. But I still had a very distinct pattern that made it hard to count the number of fringe transitions with varying the angle of the glass plate.

Now the problem is that when I started changing the angle of the glass plate, the fringe transitions were appearing to go to the left, but then when I had moved it maybe 2 degrees the fringe transitions momentarily stopped and then continued, but this time they were 'moving' in the opposite direction. It continued moving in the opposite direction (right) from 2 degrees to the end limit (10 degrees). I asked another group if that happened to them and they said it hadn't so I was just wondering if any of you guys knew what might cause something like that to happen?

I'd appreciate any ideas that I could further look into.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be willing to bet that when you started with your glass plate, you weren't precisely perpendicular but were a little too far on the far side. In other words, you were probably perpendicular when you got to 2 degrees.

Try using 2 degrees as your "zero" instead of 0 degrees. If you do this, do you get the correct index of refraction for the glass?

Carl

ahhh ok...that does work out to a better value.

Thanks for that : )

Related to PASCO lab on the interferometer

1. What is an interferometer?

An interferometer is a scientific instrument that uses the principle of interference to measure small differences in the wavelength or frequency of light or other electromagnetic radiation. It is commonly used in physics and engineering for precise measurements of length, distance, and small displacements.

2. How does a PASCO lab on the interferometer work?

A PASCO lab on the interferometer uses a laser beam split into two paths by a beam splitter. The two beams travel different paths and are then recombined at the detector. By measuring the interference pattern produced by the recombined beams, the lab can accurately measure small changes in the distance between the two paths.

3. What can a PASCO lab on the interferometer be used for?

A PASCO lab on the interferometer can be used for a variety of experiments, such as measuring the wavelength of light, determining the refractive index of a material, or detecting small vibrations or movements.

4. How accurate are the measurements from a PASCO lab on the interferometer?

The accuracy of the measurements from a PASCO lab on the interferometer depends on various factors, such as the quality of the equipment and the skill of the operator. However, interferometers are known for their high precision and can often measure changes in distance down to a fraction of a wavelength of light.

5. Are there any limitations to using a PASCO lab on the interferometer?

Like any scientific instrument, there are limitations to using a PASCO lab on the interferometer. For example, it may not be suitable for measuring large distances or for materials that do not allow for the passage of light. Additionally, environmental factors such as vibrations or air currents can affect the accuracy of the measurements.