Michelson Interferometer (Zero Path Difference)

In summary: That would make the path difference 0. In summary, the question asks how far the further mirror in a Michelson interferometer needs to be moved in order to have a zero path difference. The Haidinger fringe pattern and equations are used to solve for this distance, and the path difference is set to 0 by making the path lengths between the beam splitter and each mirror equal.
says

Homework Statement

A Michelson interferometer is illuminated with a laser with a wavelength of 514.5nm. A Haidinger fringe pattern is photographed with a lens of focal length 55mm. The diameter of the two adjacent circular fringes in the image are 1.53mm and 2.62mm.

How far would the mirror that is further away from the beamsplitter need to be moved in order to set the interferometer at zero path difference?

Homework Equations

Haidinger Fringe, rp

rp = f √ (pλ/d)

rp = f [ (( 1 - pλ/d )^-2) - 1 ] ^(1/2)

cosθp = f / √ ( rp2 + f2 = [ 1 - (pλ / 2d) ]

2d(1-cosθp) = pλ

rp = f [ (( 1 - 2d(1-cosθp/2d )^-2) - 1 ] ^(1/2)

Path Difference = 2dcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

∴ 0.00131m = 0.055m [ (( 1 - 2*0.05(0.000283516/2*0.05 )^-2) - 1 ]^(1/2)

Effective path difference
2d*cosθ

2*0.05*0.999716484 = 0.0999716484 m

0.999716484 cm

I was trying to write an equation for Haidinger's fringes that was independent of p so I could solve the problem. I think I did that correctly, but I'm not sure if the rest of my working is correct. I couldn't rearrange the equation to solve for d, but would like some help doing that.

I'm a bit confused by the zero path difference question too. Does that mean they want the path difference to = 0. This wouldn't make sense, but I can't really find any literature on what zero path difference is.

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
I'm a bit confused by the zero path difference question too. Does that mean they want the path difference to = 0. This wouldn't make sense, but I can't really find any literature on what zero path difference is.
Doesn't this mean to set the path length between the beam splitter and one mirror equal to the path length between the beam splitter and the other mirror?

Related to Michelson Interferometer (Zero Path Difference)

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer (Zero Path Difference)?

A Michelson Interferometer is a scientific instrument that uses interference patterns to measure very small distances. The Zero Path Difference refers to the point where the two beams of light in the interferometer have traveled the same distance, resulting in a constructive interference pattern.

2. How does a Michelson Interferometer (Zero Path Difference) work?

The Michelson Interferometer consists of a beam splitter, two mirrors, and a detector. A light source is split into two beams, with one beam traveling directly to a mirror and the other beam traveling to a second mirror and then back to the beam splitter. The two beams then recombine, and the interference pattern is detected by the detector, which measures the path difference between the two beams.

3. What are the applications of a Michelson Interferometer (Zero Path Difference)?

A Michelson Interferometer has many applications, including measuring small displacements, determining the refractive index of materials, and detecting small changes in the speed of light. It is also used in the field of astronomy to measure the diameter of stars and the distance between celestial objects.

4. What is the significance of the Zero Path Difference in a Michelson Interferometer?

The Zero Path Difference in a Michelson Interferometer is significant because it allows for the measurement of very small distances with high precision. At the Zero Path Difference point, the two beams of light are in phase and produce a bright, constructive interference pattern, making it easier to detect and measure small changes in the path difference.

5. Can a Michelson Interferometer (Zero Path Difference) be used for non-optical measurements?

Yes, a Michelson Interferometer can be used for non-optical measurements by using different types of waves, such as sound or radio waves, instead of light. This allows for the measurement of various physical quantities, including pressure, temperature, and acceleration. The Zero Path Difference point remains important in these measurements as it still represents the point of maximum constructive interference.