Pascal's Triangle related question

In summary, the conversation discusses the closed formula for the sum of the nth row of the Pascal triangle, which is (n \ 0) + (n \ 1) + ... + (n \ k) = 2^n. The discussion also mentions the use of symmetry and d-simplex numbers in finding the formula.
chimbooze
Let n and k be positive integers. After calculating several examples, guess a closed formula for:

(n \ 0) + (n + 1 \ 1) + ... + (n + k \ k)

If it helps, this is the formula for the sum of the nth row of the pascal triangle:

(n \ 0) + (n \ 1) + ... (n \ k) = 2^n

(n \ 0) means n choose 0. I couldn't write that in the forum so I had to improvise. Hopefully you know what it means. The "n" is on top and 0 is on the bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that answer, but I am foggy on how to get it.

I will mention that

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{k} \left( _i^{n+i} \right) = \sum_{i=0}^{k} \left(_n^{n+i} \right)[/tex]

by symmetry. I'm not sure that helps but it's a different angle to investigate.

--Elucidus

P.S. Look into d-simplex numbers too.

Related to Pascal's Triangle related question

1. What is Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a geometric arrangement of numbers in a triangular shape, where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. It is named after the French mathematician Blaise Pascal who first described it in the 17th century.

2. How do you construct Pascal's Triangle?

To construct Pascal's Triangle, start with a 1 at the top of the triangle. Then, for each row, add a 1 to the beginning and end of the row, and fill in the remaining numbers by adding the two numbers directly above it. Repeat this process for as many rows as desired.

3. What is the significance of Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle has many applications in mathematics, including its use in binomial expansion, probability, and combinatorics. It also contains many interesting number patterns and can be used to solve various mathematical problems.

4. How is Pascal's Triangle related to the Fibonacci sequence?

Pascal's Triangle and the Fibonacci sequence are both examples of recursive patterns, where each term is dependent on the two terms before it. Additionally, the sum of the numbers in each row of Pascal's Triangle corresponds to the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence.

5. Can Pascal's Triangle be extended beyond the traditional 7 rows?

Yes, Pascal's Triangle can be extended to as many rows as desired. In fact, the number of rows in Pascal's Triangle is infinite. However, as the number of rows increases, the triangle becomes more complex and difficult to calculate by hand.