Particular Solutions of Differential Equations

In summary: That is true for any value of y.In summary, the given conversation discusses solving a differential equation with the equation \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = y\frac{dy}{dx}. The solution involves rewriting the equation in terms of a new variable, v, and finding an implicit expression for y. The issue of particular solutions is also brought up and it is clarified that when v = 0, y can still be a solution to the differential equation.
paul2211

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]y\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Let [itex] v = \frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] and [itex]v\frac{dv}{dy} = \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The question can be rewritten as:

[itex]v\frac{dv}{dy} = yv[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dv}{dy} = y[/itex]. (v =/=0 )

This is very easy to solve since it's basically a normal integral. I get v and substitute in [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] to get an implicit expression for y:

[itex]C+\frac{x}{2}= D Tan^{-1}(Dy)[/itex]

However, the problem is when I divided v on both sides, and I noted that v can't be 0 because division by 0 is not allowed.

Thus, v = 0 is a particular solution to the DE, so y equals a constant is not a solution to this DE?

I really hope someone can give me a better understanding of particular solutions, and what I should do with them in a problem such as this.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thus, v = 0 is a particular solution to the DE, so y equals a constant is not a solution to this DE?
No, that says just the opposite! v= 0 is a solution to the equation after you had "reduced" it so y equal to a constant is a solution to the DE.

If y is a constant, both first and second derivatives are 0 so your equation just becomes 0= y(0).

Related to Particular Solutions of Differential Equations

1. What is a particular solution of a differential equation?

A particular solution of a differential equation is a specific function that satisfies the given differential equation. It is a solution that satisfies both the equation and any initial conditions that are given.

2. How do you find a particular solution of a differential equation?

To find a particular solution of a differential equation, you can use different methods such as separation of variables, integration factors, or undetermined coefficients. These methods involve solving the equation using appropriate techniques and then applying the given initial conditions to find the specific solution.

3. Can a particular solution be unique?

Yes, a particular solution can be unique. However, this is not always the case. Depending on the type of differential equation and the given initial conditions, there may be multiple particular solutions that satisfy the equation.

4. How is a particular solution different from a general solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the given initial conditions. On the other hand, a general solution is a family of solutions that includes all possible solutions to the differential equation. It contains an arbitrary constant that can be adjusted to find a particular solution.

5. What are the real-life applications of particular solutions of differential equations?

Particular solutions of differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are used to model and predict real-life phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, heat transfer, and electric circuits.