Particular Integral - Help equating terms

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a 2nd order differential equation and finding the particular integral. The individual asks for clarification on the steps involved and the equations needed to find the particular solution. The expert provides a thorough explanation and confirms the correct particular solution for a specific function.
_Greg_

Homework Statement

Ok, so I have a 2nd order differential equation, I can get the complimentary function no problem, its getting numerical values for terms in the particular integral that I can't do.

Homework Equations

y'' - y' - 2y = t2

The Attempt at a Solution

Complimentiary function:

y(t) = Ae2t + Be-t

All fine and dandy, now particular interal for t2:

ypi(t) = At2 + Bt + C

Now we find the first and second order derivatives:

First: 2At + B

Second: 2A

Now substituting these terms back into original equation:

2A - (2At + B) - 2(At2 + Bt + C) = t2

This is where I'm stuck, I'm looking at my notes for the next bit:

We can find A, B and C by equating terms, so:

t2: -2A -1
t: -2A - 2B = 0
1: 2A - b - 2C = 0

I don't understand that at all, can someone explain that a bit further? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you group up the terms, you have: (2A-B-2C)+(-2A-2B)t+(-2A)[tex]t^2[/tex] = [tex]t^2[/tex]. You can also say you have (2A-B-2c)+(-2A-2B)t+(-2A)[tex]t^2[/tex] = 1[tex]t^2[/tex] + 0t + 0.

For that equation to be true, each set of coefficients must be equal, that is -2A = 1, -2A-2B = 0 aka 2A=-2B, and 2A-B-2C = 0. Three equations, three unknowns, you can solve for your particular solution.

Cheers Pengwuino, I think I get the general idea, so separate t2 values from t's then everything else, so:

2A - (2At + B) - 2(At2 + Bt + C) = t2

Breaking down brackets:

2A - 2At - B -2At2 - 2Bt - 2C = t2

(-2A)t2 + (-2A -2B)t + (2A - B - 2C) = 1 + 0 + 0

Therefore:

(-2A) = 1
(-2A -2B) = 0
(2A - B - 2C) = 0

So,

A = -1/2
B = 1/2
C = 3/4

God this is sooo much to remember, find roots, use the correct general formula for the roots from memory, remember what form of particular integral to use, calculate 1st and 2nd derivatives, plug back into equation, break down and combine the complimentary function with the particular integral. Think i better get some practice! :bugeye:

E2A: I'v got a list of particular integral formats for different functions. This particular question I'm doing I though I better check, would I be right saying that for f(x) = x + 6 ------> y = Cx + D ?

Do you mean you have a new problem where the inhomogeneous part is f(x) = x + 6? If so, yes, that is the particular solution in most cases. Remember, though, if your homogeneous solution has x or a constant as a solution, you need to tweak your attempt.

Related to Particular Integral - Help equating terms

1. What is a particular integral?

A particular integral is a type of solution to a differential equation that satisfies the equation itself and any initial or boundary conditions given. It is typically used in conjunction with a complementary function to find the general solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation.

2. How do you find a particular integral?

To find a particular integral, you first need to identify the type of non-homogeneous term in the differential equation (e.g. constant, polynomial, exponential, etc.). Then, you can use a method such as undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to solve for the particular integral.

3. What is the difference between a particular integral and a complementary function?

A particular integral satisfies the non-homogeneous part of a differential equation, while a complementary function satisfies the homogeneous part. When combined, they make up the general solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation.

4. Can a particular integral be used for all types of differential equations?

No, a particular integral is only used for non-homogeneous differential equations. Homogeneous differential equations have a general solution that only requires a complementary function.

5. Are there any limitations to using particular integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using particular integrals. They may not work for every type of non-homogeneous term or may require a complicated method to solve for. In some cases, multiple particular integrals may need to be combined to find the general solution.