Particles as different states of a matter field.

In summary: Could you please elaborate?In summary, the OP seems to be thinking about particles that remain localized at all times. This is a bit out of the scope of the Standard Model, but it's not impossible. There are some papers that discuss the possibility in more detail.
MTd2
Gold Member
This is too wild to post on beyond standard model but I am not proposing anything here. Just want to know your thoughts.

Is it reasonably possible to conceive particles as solitons corresponding to metastable states of a unique universal matter field?

Physics news on Phys.org
MTd2 said:
This is too wild to post on beyond standard model but I am not proposing anything here. Just want to know your thoughts.

Is it reasonably possible to conceive particles as solitons corresponding to metastable states of a unique universal matter field?

It'd fit just fine in the quantum physics section methinks. In quantum field theory (which
underlies the standard model), particles are simply the quantised excitations of quantum
fields. They don't have (and to the extent of my knowledge, are not) to be described by
solitons though; free, initially localised particles will spread out in qft just as they do in
elementary qm.

I am really thinking about solitons. Let me make a rough analogy. For example, if we really look close to a particle at an instant of time, say, an electron, we would see it as a kind of "iceberg floating on water". "Water" being that kind of universal matter field. We'd look to a photon, and we'd see a different kind of "iceberg".

The problem is that different kinds of particles have different intrinsic spin. Spin, according to QFT, is a consequence of the representation of the Lorentz group in which the field associated with a particular type of particle happens to be.

Leptons and quarks are spin-1/2 particles (although not all of them are with the same chirality), while the gauge bosons (the eight gluons for the strong interaction and the [itex]W^{\pm}[/itex], Z0 and the photon for the electroweak interaction) are spin-1 particles and the Higgs boson is predicted to be a spin-0 particle.

If all these particles are to be considered excitations of the same matter field, then this field would have to be in some complicated mixed representation of the Lorentz group and your theory would have to account for the observed decomposition of this field in two sub-sectors.

MTd2 said:
I am really thinking about solitons. Let me make a rough analogy. For example, if we really look close to a particle at an instant of time, say, an electron, we would see it as a kind of "iceberg floating on water". "Water" being that kind of universal matter field. We'd look to a photon, and we'd see a different kind of "iceberg".

Then I'm afraid your speculation is groundless. No generally accepted theory of a
'universal matter field' exists AFAIK; in QFT, every kind of particle (and its
antiparticle) are associated to a different field (say, an electronic-positronic field
for electrons/positrons, or the electromagnetic field for photons), but no single
universal field.

Why are you thinking specifically of solitons anyway?

The OP probably became aware of the paper:

N. J. Zabusky, M. D. Kruskal, Phys. Rev. Lett. 15, 240–243 (1965)

Dickfore said:
The OP probably became aware of the paper:

N. J. Zabusky, M. D. Kruskal, Phys. Rev. Lett. 15, 240–243 (1965)

I see. I assumed (s)he wanted a non-dispersive solution for matter-waves, so
(s)he could have particles that remained localised at all times. I just wanted a
confirmation from him/her.

Another intersting paper on the subject with some useful references in it might be:

S. Coleman, Phys. Rev. D 11. 2088 (1975)

Oudeis Eimi said:
I see. I assumed (s)he wanted a non-dispersive solution for matter-waves

More or less like that. You could say that I would be thinking about breaking large symmetries , but something that has more of a phase change aesthetic. (This is why I am posting on General Physics).

For example, take the triple point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

Particles would coexist at the fusion line, but with a huge enthalpy of fusion. Think about as many "triple" points as it gets to break symmetries.

MTd2 said:
More or less like that. You could say that I would be thinking about breaking large symmetries , but something that has more of a phase change aesthetic. (This is why I am posting on General Physics).

For example, take the triple point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

Particles would coexist at the fusion line, but with a huge enthalpy of fusion. Think about as many "triple" points as it gets to break symmetries.

Errrr... I'm afraid I'm not following you.

Related to Particles as different states of a matter field.

1. What are particles as different states of a matter field?

Particles as different states of a matter field refer to the various forms and behaviors that matter can exhibit. These states include solid, liquid, gas, and plasma, and they are determined by the arrangement and movement of particles at a molecular level.

2. How do particles behave in different states of a matter field?

The behavior of particles in different states of a matter field is determined by their energy and the strength of their interactions. In a solid, particles are tightly packed and vibrate in place. In a liquid, particles are more loosely packed and can move around each other. In a gas, particles are widely spaced and move freely in all directions. In a plasma, particles are highly energized and can conduct electricity.

3. Can particles change between states of a matter field?

Yes, particles can change between states of a matter field through processes such as melting, freezing, evaporation, and condensation. These changes occur when the energy and interactions between particles are altered, causing them to rearrange and form a different state.

4. How do scientists study particles as different states of a matter field?

Scientists use various techniques and instruments, such as microscopes and spectrometers, to observe and analyze particles in different states. They also conduct experiments to manipulate the conditions and observe how particles behave and interact in different states.

5. Why is understanding particles as different states of a matter field important?

Understanding particles as different states of a matter field is important because it helps us explain and predict the behavior of matter in different environments. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science, engineering, and environmental science, where the properties and interactions of particles play a crucial role.