Particle Physics: Partial Decay Widths and Branching Ratios

In summary, the person is trying to calculate partial decay widths and branching ratios for a meson, but is having difficulty understanding what formulas to use. They ask for help, and are given equations and a rough estimate for the branching ratio. They are also told that there is no way to calculate a "good" estimate for either of these quantities without doing Feynman rules for a lot of diagrams, which would be complicated because the meson has a very complex form factor.
Collisionman
Hello there,

This isn't specifically homework, it is study. I'm having a difficult time trying to understand how to calculate/estimate partial decay widths, [itex]\Gamma[\itex], and Branching Ratios. I haven't found very clear information online so far. Here's just an example below that I'd like help with. I'm unsure of what formulas I'd have to use, if someone could give me an indication about how I might start this, I'd be most grateful. Thank for any help!

Homework Statement

(i) Estimate the partial decay width and branching ratio (BR) for [itex]\phi → e^{+}e^{-}[/itex]. Where [itex]\phi[/itex] is s s-bar (a meson with strange and anti-strange).

(ii) Make a rough estimate of [itex]\Gamma(\tau^{-} → K^{-}\nu_{\tau})[/itex]/[itex]\Gamma(\tau^{-} → \pi^{-}\nu_{\tau})[/itex]

[itex]K^{-}[/itex] is u-bar and s (i.e. a meson with anti-up and strange).

Homework Equations

The CKM matrix is:

0.974***0.277***0.004
0.227***0.973***0.042
0.008***0.042***0.999

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure about how to tackle these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is this going to go? Strong processes always dominate, and we can imagine a lot of strong processes here; ss --> cc for example, mediated by a gluon. Getting an EM process like this to go is going to be at least 1/1000 times smaller. So that's the branching ratio (very roughly). The full width is just hbar/lifetime, so you can determine the full width and multiply by 1/1000 to get the partial width. As far as I know, there's no way to get a "good' estimate for either of these without doing Feynman rules for a bunch of diagrams, will be complicated because of the form factor in the initial state.

(ii) is a little easier; the tau throws a W-, which can decay into either su or ud. ud has a CKM element of ~1, whereas us has ~.22. So, the K is about four times less likely -- and we have to square amplitude to get probability. So I'd guess about 1/16 = 0.0625. Sure enough, the actual ratios are K 0.7% of the time while pi is 10% of the time, so the ratio is .7/10 = 0.07, darn close.

ss -> cc is not possible as charm quarks are too heavy. ss->uu or ss->dd are possible.

Good call. To clarify for the OP: if you had s and sbar crashing into one another (as at a collider), then you could get ss --> cc, because the relative kinetic energy between them would make up for the smaller mass energy. But in this case you have s and sbar bound together, so there is a frame in which both particles are at rest, and the total E_initial is just m_s^2. As a result, there's not enough energy to form two charms, which will have E_final m_c^2 + kinetic (even if kinetic is 0).

what is physical interpretation of branching ratio?

The fraction of particles that decays to some specific set of other particles. As an example, 57% of Higgs bosons decay to a pair of b-quarks (one quark and one antiquark). The branching ratio to b-quarks is 57%.

This thread is from 2013.

Related to Particle Physics: Partial Decay Widths and Branching Ratios

1. What is partial decay width in particle physics?

Partial decay width is a measure of how quickly a particle decays into specific final states. It is a fundamental property of a particle and is related to its lifetime.

2. How is partial decay width calculated?

Partial decay width is calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically using the decay amplitude and phase space factors. The decay amplitude is determined by the interaction between the initial and final states, and the phase space factor takes into account the available energy and momentum for the decay process.

3. What is the significance of branching ratios in particle physics?

Branching ratios are the probabilities of a particle decaying into a specific final state. They are important because they provide information about the underlying interactions and properties of the particle. They can also be used to compare different decay modes of the same particle.

4. How do branching ratios relate to partial decay widths?

Branching ratios and partial decay widths are closely related. The branching ratio for a specific decay mode is equal to the partial decay width for that mode divided by the total decay width of the particle. In other words, the branching ratios determine the relative proportions of the different decay modes.

5. What is the role of partial decay widths and branching ratios in particle physics research?

Partial decay widths and branching ratios are important quantities in particle physics research. They can be used to study the fundamental properties of particles, such as their masses and lifetimes, and to test the predictions of theoretical models. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and the production of new particles in high-energy collisions.