Particle motion in a magnetic field

In summary, the equation of motion for a particle with charge q and mass m in a homogeneous and time-independent magnetic field is: r(t) = ρ_0(cos\omega_{0}ti + sin\omega_{0}0tj) + v_{z}t k where ρ_0, ω_0 and v_{0} are determined from the initial velocity and magnetic field strength B0.
Phyrrus

Homework Statement

Assume the Earth's magnetic field is almost homogeneous with direction along the z-axis, with a small inhomogeneous modification which make the field lines converge towards the z-axis. Also ignore relativistic and gravitational effects.
First assume the magnetic field, B = B[itex]_{0}[/itex] = B[itex]_{0}[/itex]k, to be time independent and homogeneous, with
k as a unit vector in the z-direction. A particle with charge q and mass m is moving in this field.
Initially, at time t = 0 the particle has velocity v[itex]_{0}[/itex], with u[itex]_{0}[/itex] as the component in the z-direction and
w0 as the component in the x; y-plane.
a) Write the vector form of the equation of motion of the particle and show that it has solutions of
the form
r(t) = ρ[itex]_{0}[/itex](cos [itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]ti + sin [itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]0tj) + v[itex]_{z}[/itex]t k
Determine the constants ρ[itex]_{0}[/itex], ω[itex]_{0}[/itex] and v[itex]_{0}[/itex] in terms of the initial velocity and magnetic field strength B0.

Homework Equations

F=q(E+v[itex]\times[/itex]B)

The Attempt at a Solution

E=0
a=(q/m)(v[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]B[itex]_{0}[/itex])

v[itex]_{0}[/itex]=(w[itex]_{0}[/itex],u[itex]_{0}[/itex])
where w[itex]_{0}[/itex]=|w[itex]_{0}[/itex]|cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]i+w[itex]_{0}[/itex]sin[itex]\vartheta[/itex]j)

therefore v[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]B[itex]_{0}[/itex] = B[itex]_{0}[/itex]|w[itex]_{0}[/itex]|sin[itex]\vartheta[/itex]i-B[itex]_{0}[/itex]w[itex]_{0}[/itex]cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]j

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ϑ?
For (a), all you have to do is to calculate the acceleration vector based on the given formula for r(t), and show that it satisfies the equation for the Lorentz force.

The [itex]\vartheta[/itex] was the angle used to separate w[itex]_{0}[/itex] into x and y components.

But I'm sorry, can you please elaborate more? Do you mean all I need to do is differentiate r(t) twice and equate coefficients?

"show that it has solutions of the form" -> show that [equation] is a solution -> show that [equation] has the Lorentz force as acceleration.

Do you mean all I need to do is differentiate r(t) twice and equate coefficients?
With the calculated v0 x B0, right.

Ok, but how do I calculate v[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]B[itex]_{0}[/itex] when v[itex]_{0}[/itex]=(w[itex]_{0}[/itex],u[itex]_{0}[/itex]) ? Don't I need to separate w[itex]_{0}[/itex] into x and y components?

I would convert everything to polar coordinates, but splitting them in components in Cartesian coordinates is possible, too.

I'm sorry, I still don't quite get it

Phyrrus said:
Do you mean all I need to do is differentiate r(t) twice and equate coefficients?
Did you do that? What did you get?

I'm not going to lie, I couldn't do it.

What did you get? Where did you run into problems?
Those are obvious follow-up questions, you could have answered them without an extra post from me...

I'm still not entirely sure what I am supposed to do. Is this right?

d^2r/dt^2 = -[itex]\omega_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\rho_{0}[/itex](cos[itex]\omega_{0}[/itex]t i + sin[itex]\omega_{0}[/itex] j)

Now we can say that, the above acceleration expression is equal to the Lorentz acceleration of (q/m)*(v[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\times[/itex]B[itex]_{0}[/itex]?

But now how do I split v[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex] into i,j,k components? I tried splitting it into components before with the angle theta, but that was obviously wrong.

$$\vec{v} \times \vec{B} = \begin{pmatrix}
v_j B_0 \\
-v_i B_0 \\
\end{pmatrix}$$ where I used that the B-field has a component in k-direction only.
v_i and v_j are just the i- and j-component of ##\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}##

Ok, so then v[itex]_{j}[/itex]=cos([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]t) and -v[itex]_{i}[/itex]=sin([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]t)

And then the constants -[itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]=(q/m)*B[itex]_{0}[/itex]

Phyrrus said:
Ok, so then v[itex]_{j}[/itex]=cos([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]t) and -v[itex]_{i}[/itex]=sin([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex]t)
I think there are prefactors ρ_0 ω_0 missing, but the concept is right.

So once I find the prefactors, I am given a 3 set of relations from which I can solve for the 3 constants?

Ok, thanks for all your help. How do I find them?

Find what?
It is all in the thread now, you just have to combine it.

Related to Particle motion in a magnetic field

1. What is particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field refers to the movement of charged particles (such as electrons or protons) in the presence of a magnetic field. The direction and speed of the particles will be affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. What causes particle motion in a magnetic field?

Particle motion in a magnetic field is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle by a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

3. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect particle motion?

The direction of the magnetic field will determine the direction of the Lorentz force and therefore the direction of the particle's motion. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the particle's velocity, the particle will move in a circular path. If the magnetic field is parallel to the particle's velocity, the particle will experience no force and will continue in a straight line.

4. What is the relationship between particle velocity and magnetic field strength?

The strength of the magnetic field will determine the amount of force exerted on the particle. The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force and therefore the greater the velocity of the particle. However, the velocity of the particle also affects the strength of the force, as a faster-moving particle will experience a larger force than a slower-moving particle in the same magnetic field.

5. How is particle motion in a magnetic field used in scientific research?

Particle motion in a magnetic field is used in a variety of research fields, including plasma physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It is also used in practical applications such as particle accelerators, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic confinement fusion reactors. Understanding particle motion in a magnetic field is crucial for studying the behavior of charged particles in various environments and for developing new technologies.