Particle Motion (Astrophysics)

In summary, the problem involves a particle p moving towards an object q at the speed of light, while q is also moving in the same direction at a slower speed. The distance between p and q is a function of time, and the goal is to find the time when p catches up with q. By setting up a differential equation and using the Lambert W function, the time can be calculated in terms of the Hubble constant, initial velocity, and distance between p and q. However, there are two reference frames to consider and the time may be measured differently in each.
Gregorski

Homework Statement

This is new for me, so forgive me my clumsiness. I am working on the following problem:
A particle p is moving with a velocity v1 = c (speed of light) towards an object q, which is moving in the same direction with the speed v2, where v1>v2. Now, v2 is a function of the distance r between p and q. I need to find the time when p "catches up" with q.

Homework Equations

v2(r)= v0hr, where h - the Hubble constant, v0 - initial velocity, and r - distance between p and q

The Attempt at a Solution

Particle p will "catch up" with q when the distance between them is 0, so we have:
r - s =0 and r = s (1)
v2(r)= v0hr
Differential equation:
ds/dt = v0hr

Separating variables:
ds/r= v0h dt
Integrating:
log r = v0ht + c
r = ev0ht+c
r = ecev0ht
ec=R
r=Rev0ht

Plugging into (1)
Rev0ht = v1t

I am not sure how to proceed from here or if any of it makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gregorski said:

Homework Statement

This is new for me, so forgive me my clumsiness. I am working on the following problem:
A particle p is moving with a velocity v1 = c (speed of light) towards an object q, which is moving in the same direction with the speed v2, where v1>v2. Now, v2 is a function of the distance r between p and q. I need to find the time when p "catches up" with q.

Homework Equations

v2(r)= v0hr, where h - the Hubble constant, v0 - initial velocity, and r - distance between p and q

The Attempt at a Solution

Particle p will "catch up" with q when the distance between them is 0, so we have:
r - s =0 and r = s (1)
v2(r)= v0hr
Differential equation:
ds/dt = v0hr

Separating variables:
ds/r= v0h dt
Integrating:
log r = v0ht + c
r = ev0ht+c
r = ecev0ht
ec=R
r=Rev0ht

Plugging into (1)
Rev0ht = v1t

I am not sure how to proceed from here or if any of it makes sense.
Welcome to PF Gregorski!

There are two reference frames. The observer frame, relative to which q is moving at speed v2, and q's rest frame. It is not clear from the question as to the reference frame in which r or time is being measured.

According to Special Relativity, p must have 0 rest mass and must be moving at speed c relative to all inertial reference frames. The observer and q would measure the time for p to reach q differently.

AM

Andrew,
Thank you for your input; you're absolutely right there are two frames. I managed to do the last step by applying Lambert W function.

Greg

Related to Particle Motion (Astrophysics)

What is particle motion in astrophysics?

Particle motion in astrophysics refers to the movement of subatomic particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, within the context of astronomical objects and phenomena. This can include the motion of particles within stars, galaxies, and even the interstellar medium.

What causes particle motion in astrophysics?

The motion of particles in astrophysics is primarily driven by fundamental forces, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces act on particles and determine their trajectories and interactions with other particles.

How is particle motion studied in astrophysics?

Astrophysicists use a variety of observational and theoretical tools to study particle motion in the universe. This includes telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. By analyzing the motion of particles, scientists can gain insights into the structure and dynamics of astronomical objects and processes.

What are some examples of particle motion in astrophysics?

Some examples of particle motion in astrophysics include the rotation of planets and stars, the orbit of planets around stars, the motion of particles within the interstellar medium, and the spiral motion of gas and dust within galaxies.

How does particle motion impact our understanding of the universe?

Particle motion plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. By studying the motion of particles, scientists can uncover the underlying physical processes that govern the behavior of astronomical objects. This can help us understand the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as inform our understanding of fundamental physics laws and theories.