Particle constrained to move on a hemisphere

In summary, using Lagrangian multipliers, the reaction force on a particle sliding on the outer surface of an inverted hemisphere can be determined by setting the constraints and using the Lagrangian equations of motion. The Lagrangian equations will include a centripetal force and a force to cancel the radial component of gravity.
Jeremy Wittkopp

Homework Statement

A particle slides on the outer surface of an inverted hemisphere. Using Lagrangian multipliers, determine the reaction force on the particle. Where does the particle leave the hemispherical surface?

L - Lagrangian
qi - Generalized ith coordinate
f(r) - Holonomic constraint
Qi - Generalized force of constraint on the ith particle
λj - Lagrangian multiplier

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \sum_{j=0}^k \lambda_j \frac{\partial f_j}{\partial q_i},\ i = 1, ..., n \ j = 1,... k\\ \\

x = r * \sin\theta * \cos\phi\\
y = r * \sin\theta * \sin\phi\\
z = r * \cos\theta\\

f(r) = r - R = 0\\

Q_i = \sum_{j=0}^k \lambda_j \frac{\partial f_j}{\partial q_i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to derive the potential energy [tex]U = mgr \cos\theta[/tex] the kinetic energy [tex]T = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot r^2 + r^2 \dot\theta^2 + r^2 \dot\phi^2 \sin^2\theta)[/tex]I then inserted them into the Lagrangian and got the two equations
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \lambda_r * \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} \\

\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = \lambda_\theta * \frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Where [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial r} = 1[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} = 0[/tex]

But after inputting L into these two equations I get:

[tex]Q_r = m \ddot r - mg\sin\theta - mr \dot \theta^2 - mr \dot \phi^2 \sin^2\theta[/tex]

I think there is something wrong here, but it may just be me. Also, I already searched through other threads to find this answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The separate terms in your final expression look reasonable. However, the constraints require that ##\ddot r = 0##. What is left is centripetal force required to keep the particle on the hemisphere and the force required to cancel the radial component of the gravitational force. I have not checked the signs, but it feels like the gravitational term should have the opposite sign (depending on what you mean by "inverted hemisphere").

Related to Particle constrained to move on a hemisphere

1. What is a "particle constrained to move on a hemisphere"?

A particle constrained to move on a hemisphere refers to a theoretical model in physics where a single point or particle is only allowed to move on the surface of a half-sphere, meaning it can only move in two dimensions.

2. How is this model different from a regular particle moving in three dimensions?

The main difference is that a particle constrained to move on a hemisphere can only move on the surface of a half-sphere, while a regular particle can move in any direction in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the factors that affect the motion of a particle constrained to move on a hemisphere?

The motion of a particle constrained to move on a hemisphere is affected by several factors, including the initial position of the particle, its velocity, the curvature of the hemisphere, and any external forces acting on the particle.

4. What are the applications of studying particles constrained to move on a hemisphere?

Studying particles constrained to move on a hemisphere can have applications in various fields, such as computer graphics, robotics, and molecular dynamics. It can also provide insights into the behavior of particles in curved spaces.

5. Is there a mathematical formula to describe the motion of a particle constrained to move on a hemisphere?

Yes, there are mathematical formulas that can describe the motion of a particle constrained to move on a hemisphere. These formulas involve parameters such as position, velocity, acceleration, and the radius of the hemisphere. They can be derived using concepts from classical mechanics and differential geometry.