Particle Accelerator Problem, proton -> electron positron

In summary, a particle accelerator is a scientific instrument used to accelerate particles, such as protons, to high speeds using electromagnetic fields. It works by using electric and magnetic fields to steer and accelerate particles along a circular path. The purpose of a particle accelerator is to study the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern it. The "Particle Accelerator Problem" is a theoretical concept in particle physics that involves the collision of a proton and an electron to produce an electron-positron pair. This process is governed by the laws of conservation of energy and mass and allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the building blocks of the universe.
btbam91
Particle Accelerator Problem, proton --> electron positron

He guys, I could use some help on this problem.

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2039/physhw.jpg

I got the energy of the photons:

E = 2hc/lambda

Energy of the electron and positron I believe are:

E = 2mc^2/sqrt(1 - (.9999995c/c)^2)

Where do I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

energy in equals energy out, my friend.

Related to Particle Accelerator Problem, proton -> electron positron

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument used to accelerate particles, such as protons, to very high speeds approaching the speed of light. It uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate the particles and can create collisions between particles at high energies, allowing scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons, and magnetic fields to steer them along a desired path. The particles are then directed into a circular path and accelerated by alternating electric fields until they reach very high speeds.

3. What is the purpose of a particle accelerator?

The purpose of a particle accelerator is to study the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern it. By accelerating particles to high speeds and causing collisions, scientists can observe and analyze the resulting interactions and gain a deeper understanding of the building blocks of the universe.

4. What is the "Particle Accelerator Problem"?

The "Particle Accelerator Problem" refers to a theoretical concept in particle physics where a proton and an electron collide and produce an electron-positron pair. This problem is important in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies and is a key component of many experiments conducted at particle accelerators.

5. How are proton-electron collisions used to create electron-positron pairs?

In a particle accelerator, protons and electrons are accelerated to high speeds and directed towards each other. When they collide, the energy of the collision is converted into mass, resulting in the creation of an electron-positron pair. This process is governed by the laws of conservation of energy and mass, and the resulting particles can then be studied and analyzed by scientists.