What Is the Expected Voter Turnout Amid Threats in Iraq's Election?

• News
  • Thread starter vanesch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary: Iraq.In summary, many Iraqis are fleeing the city in anticipation of violence in the coming days. The poll is flawed and will give democracy a bad name, despite the presence of 150,000 US troops in the country.

What will be the participation rate ?

• 0-25%

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • 25-50%

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 50-75%

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • 75-100%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking said:
RPGs don't require cars.
True, but car bombs are the primary tactic the terrorists are employing.
As for being too late, I'm sure that depends on who you ask. We have killed far more civililians than the insurgents have.
There is some debate over those numbers, but in any case, the Iraqi people aren't stupid - they know who is trying to kill them and who isn't. The election turnout and the attitude of the electorate reflect that.

Physics news on Phys.org
The election was a phenomenal success. No doubt about it! Unfortunately I have spent a lifetime watching one promise of peace after another go right down the tubes. I still bet that in one year this will mean nothing. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Civilian casualties: One must include the war.

One more thing that has been really bugging me lately. [rant]When 150,000 people die in a Tsunami, we call it a great disaster. When similar numbers die in Iraq, we call it a victory for freedom. [/rant]

Sorry, since we're leaving anyway I'm trying to stay out of politics, but I still see the news everyday.

Ivan Seeking said:
One more thing that has been really bugging me lately. [rant]When 150,000 people die in a Tsunami, we call it a great disaster. When similar numbers die in Iraq, we call it a victory for freedom. [/rant]
17,842 (the highest estimate of a heavily biased site), is not a "similar number," and I'm sure you know that there is a reason (whether you agree with the reason or not) that they died.

The number you are referring to (actually, it was 100,000) comes from a statistical analysis of deathrates and is not an actual accounting of deaths.

And while the case can be made that more of those killed during major conflict were killed by Americans than by the Iraqi military and terrorists (not an easy case, but a case nonetheless), the numbers are quite clear in showing that since the end of "major conflict" most civilian deaths came at the hands of these so-called "insurgents."

Ivan Seeking said:
RPGs don't require cars. As for being too late, I'm sure that depends on who you ask. We have killed far more civililians than the insurgents have.

Mentioning some arguable numbers doesn't address my point.
You say the insurgents held off to not alienate the people.

How does threatening such a blood bath have any less than the same pragmatic effect?
How do all of the previous car bombings not alienate the people already?

Now go read it from the mouths of Iraqis:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/05/middle_east_iraqi_election_views/html/1.stm

"Solve these problems and then elections. With Zarqawi and his people who can go and vote? "

"Those terrorists will kill lots of people on election day with their bombs."

"We all have to participate and play a role in these great democratic elections. We will never defeat terrorism if we keep hiding in our homes"

"Hopefully after the elections a God-fearing government will come to power and things should be fine. We have suffered a lot under Saddam and now because of this Zarqawi we need peace and good life."

Yeah, I can't believe I missed that before: Ivan, you're claiming the terrorists took the day off as so not to alienate the Iraqi people - this after months of actively trying to undermine the elections, including specific statements that democracy itself is their enemy. Ivan, you're being absurd.
Al-Qaeda has called democracy an "apostasy" to God and has threatened to kill voters and the American and Iraqi forces charged with protecting them.

"Oh people, be careful. Be careful not to be near the centers of infidelity and vice, the polling centers," said a Web statement from al-Qaeda in Iraq.
"We have declared a fierce war on this evil principle of democracy and those who follow this wrong ideology," the speaker said. "Anyone who tries to help set up this system is part of it."

Last edited: