Partial Volume of a Cylinder Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the partial volume of a cylinder for an Excel spreadsheet project. The formula for this calculation is provided, but there is confusion about the specific part involving R sq cos -1. The conversation also mentions alternative approaches and the possibility of renaming cell ranges for clarity.
CivCalc
It's been a long time since I've attended school, over 33 years ago. So my question may seem basic to many here. I wish to calculate the partial volume of a cylinder for my excel spreadsheet project. The formula I've found is attached. (unable to type it)

But I do not fully understand this formula. Particulalry the R sq cos -1 section. Could somebody please explain how I use cos
Thank You

View attachment 7715

Attachments

• Formula.PNG
    Formula.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 71
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! (Wave)

I don't use Excel, but I imagine it would be something like:

Code:
V=L*(R^2*ACOS((R-D)/R)-(R-D)*SQRT(2*R*D-D^2))

Thanks for response. No doesn't work on excel but that's OK, I'll investigate further

CivCalc said:
Thanks for response. No doesn't work on excel but that's OK, I'll investigate further

The Basic Spreadsheet
View attachment 7728
B1:B3 are the desired input values.

The formula in B5
View attachment 7729
I added a few sets of parentheses to emphasize order of operations.

You COULD name the cell ranges and refer to their meanings, rather than the cell addresses.

Attachments

• Spreadsheet1.jpg
    Spreadsheet1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Spreadsheet2.jpg
    Spreadsheet2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, I figured what I gave was correct. :)

Related to Partial Volume of a Cylinder Calculation

1. What is the formula for calculating the partial volume of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the partial volume of a cylinder is V = π * r^2 * h * φ, where V is the partial volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the cylinder, h is the height of the cylinder, and φ is the fraction of the cylinder that is filled.

2. How do you determine the fraction of the cylinder that is filled?

The fraction of the cylinder that is filled is determined by dividing the volume of the substance inside the cylinder by the total volume of the cylinder. This can also be represented as φ = Vsubstance / Vtotal.

3. Can the partial volume of a cylinder be negative?

No, the partial volume of a cylinder cannot be negative. It represents the actual volume of a substance inside the cylinder, which cannot be negative.

4. What is the difference between partial volume and total volume?

The partial volume of a cylinder refers to the volume of a specific substance inside the cylinder, while the total volume refers to the entire volume of the cylinder, including any empty space within it.

5. How do you convert the partial volume of a cylinder to a different unit of measurement?

To convert the partial volume of a cylinder to a different unit of measurement, you can use the conversion factor for volume. For example, if the partial volume is given in cubic meters and you want to convert it to cubic feet, you would multiply the partial volume by 35.314 to get the equivalent volume in cubic feet.