Partial Fractions: Working with Laplace Transforms & Integration

In summary, Laplace Transforms can be used to solve problems involving partial fractions, but algebra skills are required to use this method effectively. Complex numbers can also be a useful tool, but can be difficult to use correctly. Finally, this method of solving problems using integrals is the one that the author wants to learn better.
Nubcakes
I've been working with Laplace Transforms and integration ALOT lately. Many times I windup having to use partial fractions to solve the problem and frankly my algebra skills just aren't up to the task.

Take this fraction for example;
partfrac01Q.gif

I know 3 ways to do it... 1 of the ways doesn't work unless there is a repeated root. Another uses complex numbers which is absurdly messy. And finally, the last method I know rarely seems to work... or I just don't know what I am doing!

Using the repeated root to have a setup like this is easy;
partfrac01T1.gif

This way is pretty clean cut for most applications, but you need a repeated root for it to work.
I find the usage of complex numbers to work the best;
partfrac01T3.gif

But, my professors HATE me when I do this. It tends to make them dock extra points on petty mistakes, so if at all possible I want to avoiding using this method.
Finally, this is the method I want to learn to use better;
partfrac01T2.gif

I can OCCASIONALLY get this method to work when I set V = to i. I sometimes end up with an equation at the end like this;
# - #i = B(V) + Ci

And that is pretty easy to solve for the variables B and C. As you can see though, it just doesn't work here, or I am worse than I thought at algebra! Thank you for your time!~

Physics news on Phys.org
Nubcakes said:
Using the repeated root to have a setup like this is easy;
partfrac01T1.gif

This way is pretty clean cut for most applications, but you need a repeated root for it to work.

Well (v2+9) is not equal to (v-3)(v-3)

Nubcakes said:
Finally, this is the method I want to learn to use better;
partfrac01T2.gif

I can OCCASIONALLY get this method to work when I set V = to i. I sometimes end up with an equation at the end like this;
# - #i = B(V) + Ci

And that is pretty easy to solve for the variables B and C. As you can see though, it just doesn't work here, or I am worse than I thought at algebra! Thank you for your time!~

In this method use (Bv+C) in the numerator of the second half in RHS.
Then compare the coefficients.

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{4v+8}{(v-1)(v^2+9)}=\frac{A}{v-1}+\frac{Bv+C}{v^2+9}[/tex]

[tex]4v+8=A(v^2+9)+(Bv+C)(v-1)[/tex]

[tex]0*v^2+4v+8=v^2(A+B)+v(-B+C)+9A-C[/tex]

Now solve for A,B,C and substitute in the first equation.

Regards.

Дьявол said:
[tex]\frac{4v+8}{(v-1)(v^2+9)}=\frac{A}{v-1}+\frac{Bv+C}{v^2+9}[/tex]

[tex]4v+8=A(v^2+9)+(Bv+C)(v-1)[/tex]

[tex]0*v^2+4v+8=v^2(A+B)+v(-B+C)+9A-C[/tex]

Now solve for A,B,C and substitute in the first equation.

Regards.

Another way to solve for the coefficients is to pick values of v the make the expression simple and plug them in. In this case. choosing [itex]v=1[/itex] would make the 2nd term on the RHS of [tex]4v+8=A(v^2+9)+(Bv+C)(v-1)[/tex] zero and allow you to easily solve for A. Similarily, choosing [itex]v=3i[/itex] would make the 1st term on the RHS zero, and you could then easily solve for B and C.

You can actually avoid having to solve any equations at all. Simply expand the function around all poles, keeping only the singular terms, and then add up all the expansions. The fact that the sum of the expansions is equal to the function is then a simple consequence of Liouville's theorem.

Related to Partial Fractions: Working with Laplace Transforms & Integration

1. What is the purpose of using partial fractions when working with Laplace Transforms and integration?

Partial fractions are used to simplify complex algebraic expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable fractions. This technique is particularly useful when working with Laplace Transforms and integration, as it allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the overall expression.

2. How do you determine the partial fraction decomposition of a given expression?

The first step in determining the partial fraction decomposition is to factor the denominator of the given expression into linear and irreducible quadratic terms. Then, for each distinct factor, set up a general fraction with unknown coefficients. Finally, equate the coefficients of each term in the original expression to those in the general fractions and solve for the unknown coefficients.

3. Can partial fractions be used to solve any type of integration problem?

No, partial fractions can only be used to solve integration problems where the integrand can be expressed as a rational function. If the integrand contains other types of functions, such as trigonometric or logarithmic functions, other techniques must be used.

4. How do partial fractions relate to the concept of poles in Laplace Transforms?

When breaking down a complex expression into partial fractions, we often end up with terms that contain poles. These poles correspond to the poles in the Laplace Transform of the original expression. By finding the poles and their corresponding residues, we can use the inverse Laplace Transform to solve the original expression.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with partial fractions?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the terms in the partial fraction decomposition, resulting in an incorrect answer. It is also important to check for repeated or complex roots when factoring the denominator, as these can lead to errors in the decomposition. Lastly, it is crucial to properly set up and solve the equations for the unknown coefficients to avoid computational errors.