Partial Fractions with Ugly Coefficients

In summary: This is proven by substituting the x-values in the original equation.I agree with the idea that the expansion method is not ideal, but I'm still wondering about the logic behind eliminating those two x-values.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the coefficients of a quadratic equation. The correct results are A=2, B=-5, and C=1. The person has tried the problem multiple times but is still getting incorrect coefficients. They have even used Mathematica to try to solve it, but it didn't provide helpful insights. The conversation also includes a discussion of the logic behind setting certain values for x to eliminate coefficients and how it
AntSC

Homework Statement

The question is stated at the top of the attached picture with a solution
20160303_095831.jpg
The correct results of the coefficients are A=2, B=-5, C=1
I have tried this problem multiple times and am still getting ugly coefficients. I have no idea why. A fresh pair of eyes would be welcome.
I have even had mathematica solve it for me to get some insight but it solves using matrices, which is not helpful when attempting it algebraically.

Attachments

• 20160303_095831.jpg
    20160303_095831.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
AntSC said:

Homework Statement

20160303_095831.jpg
I have tried this problem multiple times and am still getting ugly coefficients. I have no idea why. A fresh pair of eyes would be welcome.
I have even had mathematica solve it for me to get some insight but it solves using matrices, which is not helpful when attempting it algebraically.
The equation you wrote at the top:

97x + 35 ≡ A(5x + 2)2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)

is correct. The rest of your work below that is what's incorrect.

The idea is to expand the terms of the equation above and equate like with like, not to solve the individual factors like you appear to have done.
In other words, setting x = -2/5 and then doing some manipulation, where did that come from?

After doing the expansions, you should have three equations each in the three unknowns A, B, and C to solve for the values of the unknown coefficients.

SteamKing said:
setting x = -2/5 and then doing some manipulation
Dear Ant,
going from your first line to your second line you multiply. The equivalence between those two lines is lost if you multiply both sides by zero. In other words, the second line holds only if x is NOT -2/5 or 3/2 !

AntSC said:

Homework Statement

20160303_095831.jpg
Your method looks perfectly fine to me.

SammyS said:
Your method looks perfectly fine to me.
?

From what i can see from textbooks the method I've chosen is valid. The reason behind making x=-2/5 and x=3/2 is to eliminate certain coefficients, leaving one unknown in each case thus making each coefficient solvable. Not quite sure of the logic of not dividing by those values, please explain if I'm missing something. Here's another question done the same way, which yielded the correct result - 20160303_134024.jpg. This agrees with the answers in the textbook and to double check, by solving with mathematica.
So my question is really why does this result produce correct answers and the question in my original post not?

Attachments

• 20160303_134024.jpg
    20160303_134024.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 469
Baffling that this works. Perhaps there is some logic in this and SteamKing and I should scratch behind our ears...

I did find the error in post #1: third line: $$x = -{2\over 5} \quad \Rightarrow \quad -{194\over 5} + 35 = -{19\over 5} C \quad \Rightarrow \ \ C =1 $$

The logic is that if 97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3) is true for all x then, in particular, it is true for x= -2/5 and x= 3/2.
Taking x= -2/5, 5x+ 2= 0 so the equation becomes -194/5+ 35= A(0)^2+ B(0)+C(-4/5- 3). Solve that for C.
Taking x= 3/2, 2x- 3= 0 so the equation become 291/2+ 35= A(15/2+ 2)^2+ B(0)+ C(0). Solve that for A.

To find B take x equal to any simple number, say x= 0.

Not sure whether that's a sarcastic remark or not.
Thanks for spotting my lame mistake. Must have repeated it each time.
It all works out now. I got all 3 coefficients.
Perhaps we could talk further about the logic behind setting these x-values.
I understand your point of not allowing x=-2/5 and x=3/2, as in its original form would give undefined results. But once rearranged these x-values no longer have the same effect. How to resolve this?

No sarcasm. It's just that I agreed with SteamKing about the approach. But what you do appears to be equivalent.

Basically you want to solve $$97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)\quad \forall x $$ for A, B and C. Where I wanted to exclude ##x = -{2\over 5}## and ##x = {3\over 2}##.

Writing it all out gives three equations such as ##25x^2 A + 10 x^2 B = 0## and excluding those two specific x values doesn't change anything to the outcome.

And I read over the minus sign several dozen times too !

BvU said:
No sarcasm. It's just that I agreed with SteamKing about the approach. But what you do appears to be equivalent.

Basically you want to solve $$97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)\quad \forall x $$ for A, B and C. Where I wanted to exclude ##x = -{2\over 5}## and ##x = {3\over 2}##.

Writing it all out gives three equations such as ##25x^2 A + 10 x^2 B = 0## and excluding those two specific x values doesn't change anything to the outcome.

And I read over the minus sign several dozen times too !

If ##97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)## for more than three distinct values of ##x##, it holds for all ##x## (because a quadratic that is zero at 4 or more points is zero identically). So, it DOES hold at ## x = -2/5## and at ##x = 3/2##. However, in this case the quadratic factor ##(5x+2)^2## means that we can differentiate both sides and evaluate again at ##x = -2/5## to obtain another relationship, giving 3 equations in the three unknowns ##A,B,C##.

I don't look at posted handwritten work, so I don't know if the OP did that.

Hello Ray,

Since Steamking stated that ##
97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)## is correct, it looks as if I am the only one with this reservation about excluding ##
x = -{2\over 5}## and ##
x = {3\over 2}##. Must be some result of being brainwashed to never ever multiply both sides of an equation by zero. And it indeed turns out to be completely harmless in this case.

Ray Vickson said:
I don't look at posted handwritten work, ...
I really like that. I'm not that far yet, but I do notice a growing preference for typed-out posts . Somewhere in the PF guidelines it's preferred, I know.
In defence of Ant: his(/her?) work is very neat and legible and the picture taking immaculate. I've seen far, far worse.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Must be some result of being brainwashed to never ever multiply both sides of an equation by zero.
If you're going to be brainwashed, this is a good a concept as any.

The situation here is that the original equation is not equivalent to the one you get when all the denominators are cleared. In the original equation, x can't be 3/2, and it can't be -2/5. The revised equation has no restrictions at all. As HallsOfIvy said, the new equation has to be true for all values of x and for certain values of the parameters A, B, and C.

Regarding work posted as an image, there's a sticky at the top of this section saying that for a number of reasons, members should not post images of their work. For one thing, it's impossible for someone responding to insert a comment at the point where the work is wrong. For another, images are often posted sideways or upside down, are impossible or difficult to read, or are so messy with doodles and crossouts that they're hard to read.

BvU said:
Hello Ray,

Since Steamking stated that ##
97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)## is correct, it looks as if I am the only one with this reservation about excluding ##
x = -{2\over 5}## and ##
x = {3\over 2}##. Must be some result of being brainwashed to never ever multiply both sides of an equation by zero. And it indeed turns out to be completely harmless in this case.

I really like that. I'm not that far yet, but I do notice a growing preference for typed-out posts . Somewhere in the PF guidelines it's preferrred, I know.
In defence of Ant: his(/her?) work is very neat and legible and the picture taking immaculate. I've seen far, far worse.

Re: about ##x = -2/5## and ##x = 3/2##:
The quadratic ##A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)## is the numerator after putting all terms over a common denominator, so the equation ##97x + 35 = A(5x + 2)^2 + B(2x-3)(5x+2) + C(2x-3)## is required to hold at all ##x## other than -2/5 and 3/2 (because those two values of ##x## are excluded from the function's domain). However, as I said already, that implies that it hold for all ##x##, including the "forbidden" values -2/5 and 3/2. It just so happens that those two values are particularly convenient to use.

Re: typed out work. I think you may have it backwards. It used to be that hardly anyone posted images (except for diagrams, etc.,) but recently it seems that more and more posters are trying to get away from typing things out. The pinned post "Guidelines for Students and Helpers" goes into this issue, and explains why posted images should be avoided as much as possible.

When I first saw this method I responded much like SteamKing and BvU. How can you plug in values not in the domain of the original expressions?

I like to think of the rationale for the validity of this method as follows.

Starting with:
##\displaystyle \ \frac{97x+35}{(2x-3)(5x+2)^2}=\frac{A}{2x-3 }+\frac{B}{5x+2}+\frac{C}{(5x+2)^2} \ ##​

Multiply both sides by ## \ (2x-3)(5x+2)^2\,, \ ## giving:

##\displaystyle \ \frac{(97x+35)(2x-3)(5x+2)^2}{(2x-3)(5x+2)^2}=\frac{A(2x-3)(5x+2)^2}{2x-3 }+\frac{B(2x-3)(5x+2)^2}{5x+2}+\frac{C(2x-3)(5x+2)^2}{(5x+2)^2} \ ##​

Prior to cancelling common factors, both sides of this equation have the same implied domain as in the original equation: ## \ x\ne\frac32 ,\ -\frac25## .

However, for the expressions on either side of this equation, the discontinuities are removable. With suitable definitions to fill in those values, one can extend the functions on either side making each continuous on ℝ, and giving the result achieved by cancelling common factors.

##\displaystyle \ 97x+35=A(5x+2)^2+B(2x-3)(5x+2)+C(2x-3) \ ##​

Likes BvU

Related to Partial Fractions with Ugly Coefficients

What is a partial fractions problem?

A partial fractions problem is a mathematical problem that involves decomposing a rational function into simpler fractions. The goal is to express a complex fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with linear denominators.

Why do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used to simplify complex rational expressions and make them easier to solve. They also allow us to integrate certain types of functions more easily.

What are the steps to solve a partial fractions problem?

The general steps to solve a partial fractions problem are:
1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear factors
2. Write the partial fractions with unknown coefficients for each linear factor
3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator
4. Equate the coefficients of the like terms on both sides of the equation
5. Solve for the unknown coefficients
6. Write the final answer as a sum of the partial fractions with the determined coefficients.

What are the two types of partial fractions?

The two types of partial fractions are proper and improper. Proper partial fractions have a smaller degree in the numerator than the denominator, while improper partial fractions have a greater degree in the numerator than the denominator.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a partial fractions problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a partial fractions problem include:
- Forgetting to factor the denominator completely
- Mistakes in setting up the partial fractions with unknown coefficients
- Not simplifying the fractions before equating coefficients
- Forgetting to include all the terms in the final answer
- Making calculation errors while solving for the unknown coefficients.