Partial Fractions: Solving ∫ 5e^2x / (25e^2x - 20e^x +4) dx

In summary, partial fractions can be used to solve integrals of rational functions with multiple terms in the denominator. In the case of ∫ 5e^2x / (25e^2x - 20e^x +4) dx, the integrand can be rewritten as a sum of simpler fractions with distinct denominators. This allows for the integral to be solved through substitution and integration by parts, resulting in a final answer. This method is particularly useful when the integrand cannot be solved by standard integration techniques.
maff is tuff

Homework Statement

∫ 5e^2x / (25e^2x - 20e^x +4) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt at the the solution is in the attachment below. I am stuck at that step. Pretty much can anyone tell me what 'something' should be. I know if the denominator were a reducible quadratic then the numerator would be linear (Ax + B). But what if the denominator is exponential like in my problem?

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    59.8 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
maff is tuff said:
I know if the denominator were a reducible quadratic then the numerator would be linear (Ax + B). But what if the denominator is exponential like in my problem?

It will be something like [tex] A e^x +B[/tex].

It might be easiest for you to perform a change of variable [tex]y=e^x[/tex] to reduce the problem to a more familiar one.

So everywhere I see an e^x I put a y? Then go back in later and put the e^x's back?

maff is tuff said:
So everywhere I see an e^x I put a y? Then go back in later and put the e^x's back?

You could do that in order to make the partial fraction computation easier. You could also go further and use

[tex] dy = \frac{dy}{dx} dx[/tex]

to solve for [tex]dx[/tex] in terms of [tex]dy[/tex], which would allow you to rewrite the integral itself as an integral over the new variable [tex]y[/tex]. You should see this technique come up quite a bit later in your course.

Just to illustrate this with an example, suppose we have

[tex] I = \int x^3 dx = \frac{x^4}{4} + c.[/tex]

If we set [tex] y = x^2[/tex], we see that [tex] dy = 2 x dx [/tex], so we can rewrite

[tex] I = \int \frac{y ~dy}{2} = \frac{y^2}{4} + c = \frac{x^4}{4} + c.[/tex]

The reason why the change of variables works is tied to the chain rule for derivatives.

Thanks a lot for your help and for taking the time to write out such a detailed explanation. Also, how do you type your math symbols like that? Sorry, I'm relatively new to this site and every time I type math symbols using the ones the forum gives me they don't look like that. Thanks again.

maff is tuff said:
Thanks a lot for your help and for taking the time to write out such a detailed explanation. Also, how do you type your math symbols like that? Sorry, I'm relatively new to this site and every time I type math symbols using the ones the forum gives me they don't look like that. Thanks again.

It's called LaTeX code and there's a sticky thread about it here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951 You can also click on the formulas above to see the code that was used to make them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Partial Fractions: Solving ∫ 5e^2x / (25e^2x - 20e^x +4) dx

What is the purpose of using partial fractions to solve integrals?

Partial fractions can be used to simplify complex integrals by breaking them down into simpler fractions. This makes the integration process easier and more manageable.

What are the steps to solve an integral using partial fractions?

The steps to solve an integral using partial fractions are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the fraction into irreducible factors
  2. Set up an equation with unknown constants for each irreducible factor
  3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the original denominator to eliminate fractions
  4. Find the values of the unknown constants by equating coefficients of like terms
  5. Substitute the values of the constants back into the original fraction
  6. Solve the resulting simpler integrals

How do I know if an integral can be solved using partial fractions?

An integral can be solved using partial fractions if the denominator of the fraction can be factored into irreducible factors. If the denominator contains repeated factors, it may not be possible to use partial fractions.

Can partial fractions be used to solve any type of integral?

No, partial fractions can only be used to solve integrals with rational functions, which are fractions with polynomials in the numerator and denominator. They cannot be used to solve integrals with irrational functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using partial fractions to solve integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using partial fractions to solve integrals include:

• Forgetting to factor the denominator into irreducible factors
  • Incorrectly setting up the equation for unknown constants
  • Making errors in equating coefficients of like terms
  • Forgetting to substitute the values of the constants back into the original fraction
  • Not simplifying the resulting integrals correctly