Partial Fractions - irreducibility question

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the expression x^2-x+1 is factorable and how to turn 1/x^2-x+1 into partial fractions. The conclusion is that the expression is not factorable, and the correct form for partial fractions is 1/(x^2-x+1).
RJLiberator
Gold Member
1. x^2-x+1

Is this factorable?

My initial thinking is NO. However, I can complete the square and it becomes (x-1/2)^2-3/4, but this doesn't seem to help me. Would this be considered factorable?

2. Turn 1/x^2-x+1 into partial fractions

Clearly, after I answer #1 correctly, #2 will be more clear. But under my initial assumption that #1 is NOT reducible, then how would I turn 1/x^2-x+1 into a partial fraction?
I am getting 1 = Ax+b where b = 0 and A = 1/x but that doesn't seem at all correct.

Thanks for any guidance / help.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
1. x^2-x+1

Is this factorable?

My initial thinking is NO. However, I can complete the square and it becomes (x-1/2)^2-3/4, but this doesn't seem to help me. Would this be considered factorable?
You have an error in your work. You should have (x - 1/2)2 + 3/4, not (x - 1/2)2 - 3/4. This quadratic is not factorable into factors with real number coefficients.
RJLiberator said:
2. Turn 1/x^2-x+1 into partial fractions
This expression needs parentheses around the entire denominator. What you wrote is this:
$$\frac{1}{x^2} - x + 1$$
RJLiberator said:
Clearly, after I answer #1 correctly, #2 will be more clear. But under my initial assumption that #1 is NOT reducible, then how would I turn 1/x^2-x+1 into a partial fraction?
I am getting 1 = Ax+b where b = 0 and A = 1/x but that doesn't seem at all correct.
No, it's not. The coefficients A and B should be constants, not expressions that involve a variable.

BTW, what happened to the homework template? You should not delete its parts.

No, it's not. The coefficients A and B should be constants, not expressions that involve a variable.

Fair enough.

Do I use the denominator of x^2-x+1 or (x-1/2)^2 +3/4 to use partial fractions?

RJLiberator said:
Fair enough.

Do I use the denominator of x^2-x+1 or (x-1/2)^2 +3/4 to use partial fractions?

You don't turn ##\frac 1 {x^2-x+1}## into a partial fraction. In the second form above, where you have completed the square, it is already ready to integrate using an arctangent.

Likes RJLiberator
LcKurtz, thank you my brother for the help verifying my thoughts.

Related to Partial Fractions - irreducibility question

1. What is a partial fraction?

A partial fraction is a mathematical expression that can be used to represent a complex fraction as the sum of simpler fractions. It is often used to simplify and solve problems involving integration or differentiation.

2. How do you determine if a partial fraction is irreducible?

A partial fraction is irreducible if the numerator and denominator have no common factors. This means that the fraction cannot be simplified any further.

3. What is the process for finding the partial fraction decomposition of a given fraction?

The process for finding the partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down the given fraction into simpler fractions, determining the constants for each fraction, and then adding them together to form the partial fraction.

4. Can a partial fraction contain a repeating factor?

Yes, a partial fraction can contain a repeating factor. This usually occurs when the denominator of the original fraction has a repeated factor, and the corresponding partial fraction will have a constant multiplied by a repeating term.

5. How is the irreducibility of a partial fraction used in solving integrals?

The irreducibility of a partial fraction is used in solving integrals because it allows for the integration of complex fractions by breaking them down into simpler fractions. This makes the integration process easier and more manageable.