Partial fractions for integral

In summary, the integral \int \frac{x^3}{x-1} dx is part of a bigger question and can be solved using polynomial long division.
lavster

Homework Statement

evaluate:

[tex]\int \frac{x^3}{x-1} dx [/tex]

this is part of a bigger question... i get down to this far but i have no idea how to tackle this integral...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my thoughts are - partial fractions... but its only got one thing on the denominator...

then i thought do the division but i don't know how to do that

then i thought that it could be substitution of variables but i can't find any that works...

please point me in the right direction!

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

lavster said:

Homework Statement

evaluate:

[tex]\int \frac{x^3}{x-1} dx [/tex]

this is part of a bigger question... i get down to this far but i have no idea how to tackle this integral...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my thoughts are - partial fractions... but its only got one thing on the denominator...

then i thought do the division but i don't know how to do that

then i thought that it could be substitution of variables but i can't find any that works...

please point me in the right direction!

thanks in advance

Polynomial long division is the way to go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polynomial_long_division

Related to Partial fractions for integral

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve complex integrals. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate.

2. When should I use partial fractions in integration?

Partial fractions are useful in integration when the integral involves a rational function, which is a fraction with polynomial expressions in the numerator and denominator. By using partial fractions, the integral can be broken down into simpler fractions that are easier to integrate.

3. How do I find the partial fraction decomposition?

The partial fraction decomposition can be found by using a systematic approach, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the Heaviside cover-up method. These methods involve setting up equations and solving for the unknown coefficients of the partial fractions.

4. Can all rational functions be broken down into partial fractions?

Yes, every rational function can be decomposed into partial fractions. However, the decomposition may involve complex numbers or repeated factors, which may require additional steps in the integration process.

5. What is the purpose of using partial fractions in integration?

The purpose of using partial fractions is to simplify and solve complex integrals. By breaking down the fraction into simpler fractions, the integral becomes more manageable and can be solved using basic integration techniques. This also allows for the integration of functions that may not have been possible without using partial fractions.