Partial fraction with the expoential mathematical constant in the numerator

In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial fraction for (3*e^(-2s))/(s(s+5)). The initial answer the person found was (3/5)/s - (3*e^(10))/(s+5). However, their teacher's answer was ((3*e^(-2s)/5)((1/s)-(1/(s+5))). The person is confused about how their teacher got the answer and the expert summarizer explains that their teacher used the basic concept of taking out common factors before doing partial fractions on polynomial expressions.
rudyx61
(3*e^(-2s))/(s(s+5))

I was hoping someone could tell me how to find the partial fraction for the above; the answer i ended up with was: (3/5)/s - (3*e^(10))/(s+5) and i went about it by:

(3*e^(-2s))/(s(s+5))=A/s+B/(s+5)
(3*e^(-2s))=A(s+5) + B(s)
set s=-5 and found B=-3*e^(10)/5
set s=0 and found A=3/5

but apparently the answer shown by my teacher was ((3*e^(-2s)/5)((1/s)-(1/(s+5))

Im pretty much puzzled as to how he got this answer

Physics news on Phys.org
rudyx61 said:
(3*e^(-2s))/(s(s+5))

I was hoping someone could tell me how to find the partial fraction for the above; the answer i ended up with was: (3/5)/s - (3*e^(10))/(s+5) and i went about it by:

(3*e^(-2s))/(s(s+5))=A/s+B/(s+5)
(3*e^(-2s))=A(s+5) + B(s)
set s=-5 and found B=-3*e^(10)/5
set s=0 and found A=3/5

but apparently the answer shown by my teacher was ((3*e^(-2s)/5)((1/s)-(1/(s+5))

Im pretty much puzzled as to how he got this answer

You ONLY do partial fractions on 'polynomial' type expressions, like 1/(s*(s+5)). Your teacher took the common factor 3*e^(-2s) out, did the partial fractions on 1/(s*(s+5)) and then restored the common factor.

oh spent an hour trying to figure it out turns out the answer lies within the basics
thanks a lot for the help

Related to Partial fraction with the expoential mathematical constant in the numerator

1. What is the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator of a partial fraction?

The exponential mathematical constant, also known as Euler's number or the natural logarithm, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is typically denoted by the symbol 'e' and is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. Why is the exponential mathematical constant used in partial fraction decomposition?

The exponential mathematical constant is used in partial fraction decomposition because it allows for the simplification of complex fractions into simpler, more manageable parts. By expressing a fraction with the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator, it becomes easier to integrate or solve in other mathematical operations.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition with the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator?

To perform partial fraction decomposition with the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator, you first factor the denominator into linear or quadratic terms. Then, using the coefficients of the terms, you set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown constants. The resulting partial fraction decomposition will have the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator of each term.

4. Can the exponential mathematical constant be factored out of a partial fraction?

Yes, the exponential mathematical constant can be factored out of a partial fraction. However, this is not always necessary or beneficial. In some cases, it may be more useful to leave the constant in the numerator in order to simplify the overall equation or make it easier to integrate.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial fractions with the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator?

Partial fractions with the exponential mathematical constant in the numerator are commonly used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis. They are also used in finance and economics to model growth and decay processes. Additionally, they have applications in physics and chemistry, particularly in differential equations and chemical reactions.