Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, when dealing with degenerate poles in the denominator, the rule \frac{2x + 2}{(x - 1)^2} = \frac{A}{(x - 1)} + \frac{B}{(x - 1)^2} is used to solve for the coefficients in the partial fraction. This ensures that there are enough degrees of freedom to find a solution.
HorseBox

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{2x + 2}{x^2 - 2x + 1}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I factorized the denominator and got [tex]\frac{2x + 2}{(x - 1)^2}[/tex] and I took a look at the solutions manual to see how they handled this but then I see this [tex]\frac{2x + 2}{(x - 1)^2} = \frac{A}{(x - 1)} + \frac{B}{(x - 1)^2}[/tex]. I'm lost how is the denominator of partial fraction B squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
HorseBox said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{2x + 2}{x^2 - 2x + 1}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I factorized the denominator and got [tex]\frac{2x + 2}{(x - 1)^2}[/tex] and I took a look at the solutions manual to see how they handled this but then I see this [tex]\frac{2x + 2}{(x - 1)^2} = \frac{A}{(x - 1)} + \frac{B}{(x - 1)^2}[/tex]. I'm lost how is the denominator of partial fraction B squared?

That is the rule used when you have degenerate poles (factored terms in the denominator with powers greater than one). The simplest way to understand this is to try and find an equality without following this rule. You will not be able to do it.

Take a look at the following link and note the section on repeated factors in the denominator. The use of this rule ensures that you have enough degrees of freedom to solve for the coefficients in all cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_fraction

Related to Partial fraction decomposition

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to break down a rational function into smaller, simpler fractions.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition allows for easier integration and simplification of complex rational functions.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you must first factor the denominator of the rational function and then set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown coefficients of the partial fractions.

What are the different types of partial fraction decomposition?

The two main types of partial fraction decomposition are proper and improper. Proper partial fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper partial fractions have a degree of the numerator that is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

What are some common applications of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus, engineering, and physics to solve integration problems and simplify complex mathematical expressions.