Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding Partial Fraction Decomposition and is looking for help. The student has read guides online and is still confused. The student has tried to solve the equation but is having difficulty. The student has tried different values for s to eliminate B and C, but is still having trouble. The student has tried a different method and found that the same answer is obtained. The student is looking for help with Differential Equations.
Ready2GoXtr

Homework Statement

I just can't understand it I've read plenty of guides online, I just can't figure it out. How do you do partial fraction decomposition the farthest i can get is below
1/[(s^2 + 1)(s+1)]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1/[(s^2 + 1)(s+1)] = A/(s+1) + (Bs + C)/(s^2 + 1)
1 = A(s^2 + 1) + (Bs + C)(s+1)

set s = -1

1 = A(2)

A = 1/2

I can't figure anything else out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you're right. A = 1/2. So that's one less "variable" you have to worry about. Substitute it back into the equation to get:

(1/2)(s^2 + 1) + (Bs + C)(s+1) = 1

You can easily get rid of B, and the rest should be pretty simple.

EDIT : sorry cse63146 has given a nice clue

[tex]\frac{1}{(s^{2}+1)(s+1)} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^{2}+1}[/tex]

[tex] 1 = A (s^{2}+1) + (Bs+C) (s+1)[/tex]

[tex] 1 = A s^{2} + A + B s^{2} + B s + Cs + C [/tex]

[tex] 1 = (A + B) s^{2} + (B+C)s + (A+C) [/tex]

then, comparing coefficients between of the RHS and LHS :

A+B = 0, because the LHS doesn't have s^{2}

B+C = 0, because the LHS doesn't have s

A+C = 1

Ah I am sorry I am still confused : songoku, as for cse how do you get rid of b? I am past calculus III but i just can't remember how to do it.

You choose one value of s that will make B = 0

Im still confused do you mean I move all of the equation to one side with B on the other?

just worry about this for now: (Bs + C)(s+1)

what value of s would eliminate B?

0, -1

and out of 0 and -1, which what would ONLY eliminate B, and leave C?

Yes, that's right

Because you have used -1, try 0

I mean if i made s=0 then C = -A(1) C=-1/2

Yes, now that you have the value of C, substitute it back to get:

(1/2)(s^2 + 1) + (Bs + -1/2)(s+1) = 1

now just let s = 1, and you can get the value of B.

Out of curiousity, is this a laplace transformation

(1/2)(s^2 + 1) + (Bs + -1/2)(s+1) = 1 s = 1
(1/2)(2) + (B - 1/2) = 1
B - 1/2 = 0
B = +1/2

Yes it is and its a summer class to make things work, we don't get examples, he just does proofs >_>

So does 1/[(s^2 + 1)(s + 1)] = (1/2)/(s + 1) + [(1/2)s + -1/2]/(s^2 + 1)

book says it should be 1/[(s^2 + 1)(s + 1)] = (1/2)/(s + 1) + [-(1/2)s + 1/2]/(s^2 + 1)

I would double check your value for C, I keep getting positive 1/2.

(1/2) (0^2 + 1) + (B(0)+C)(0 + 1) = 1
(1/2)(1) + C(1) = 1
C = 1/2

which would also affect your value for B.

Ah yes! Thats what I did wrong! Now it makes since. Do i always use 1 to find the Bs in any case?

Not always. The idea behind this method is to eliminate all but 1 variable by assigning values for s.

To determine the value of A, you made s = -1, which eliminated B and C, which gave you the value of A.

Now that you have the value of A, it's no longer a variable; it's now a constant, which you can substitute back in your equation.

By assigning s = 0, you eliminated B, leaving you only C to worry about. The idea is to keep assigning values to s in order to eliminate variables until you have one variable left (in this case you found A and C, leaving you only B), and now you have to assign a value which would "get rid" of s, and leave only B and constants.

You could also try songoku's method, which would give you the same answer.

http://www.exampleproblems.com/wiki/index.php/Algebra-Partial_Fraction_Decomposition has a lot of examples, and step by step solutions (with the method you used).

Also, there are some PFD's that you might need to know some matrix row reduction to solve, so you might want to get a refresher on that if you need it.

Good luck with Differential Equations. Had to do that last semester; it was a pain.

Cheers Mate!

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition

What is Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is a mathematical method used to break down a rational function into simpler, partial fractions. This allows for easier integration and manipulation of the function.

How do you perform Partial Fraction Decomposition?

The steps for performing Partial Fraction Decomposition include:
1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.
2. Write the rational function in the form of A/(x-a) + B/(x-b) + ... where A, B, etc. are constants.
3. Multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator.
4. Equate the coefficients of the like terms on both sides of the equation.
5. Solve for the constants.

Why is Partial Fraction Decomposition useful?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is useful because it simplifies complex rational functions into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for easier integration and manipulation of the function. It is also used in applications such as signal processing and control systems.

What are the types of partial fractions?

There are two types of partial fractions: proper and improper. Proper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while improper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

What are some common mistakes when performing Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Some common mistakes when performing Partial Fraction Decomposition include forgetting to factor the denominator completely, dividing by a variable without checking if it is a root of the denominator, and not equating coefficients correctly. It is important to double check work and follow the steps carefully to avoid these mistakes.