Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, the conversation discussed the partial fraction decomposition of (7x^3 - 2)/[(x^2)(x+1)^3]. It was mentioned that the decomposition should have n instances of each factor in the denominator when raised to a power n. The proposed decomposition proposal was A/x^2 + B/(x+1)^3, but it was explained that it should be A/x^2 + B/x + C/(x+1)^3 + D/(x+1)^2 + E/(x+1). Another method was suggested where A/x^2 + B/x = (A+Bx)/x^2, but it was noted that it wouldn't make a significant difference. The person asking for
dnt
can someone help me set up this problem. it asks for the partial fraction decomposition of:

(7x^3 - 2)/[(x^2)(x+1)^3]

i thought you put A/x^2 + B/(x+1)^3 and solve but it doesn't work that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not that simple: when your factors in the denominator are raised to a power n, you need n instances of that factor in your decomposition proposal (one for each exponent, 1 -> n). In your case:

[tex]
\frac{{7x^3 - 2}}{{x^2 \left( {x + 1} \right)^3 }} = \frac{A}{{x^2 }} + \frac{B}{x} + \frac{C}{{\left( {x + 1} \right)^3 }} + \frac{D}{{\left( {x + 1} \right)^2 }} + \frac{E}{{x + 1}}
[/tex]

Do you get the idea?

yeah that makes sense. is there another way to do it where you put Ax+B over the x^2 and Cx^2 + Dx + E over the (x+1)^3 and do it with just two fractions?

Sure, since (my A and B are the other way arround though)

[tex]\frac{A}{{x^2 }} + \frac{B}{x} = \frac{A}{{x^2 }} + \frac{{Bx}}{{x^2 }} = \frac{{A + Bx}}{{x^2 }}[/tex]

I don't see how this would make any significant difference though...

ok cool - I am sure it wouldn't but i just wanted to be sure.

Related to Partial fraction decomposition

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical process used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This is done by expressing the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with unique denominators.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful in solving integrals, simplifying rational expressions, and solving differential equations. It also allows us to better understand the behavior of rational functions.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, we first need to factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, we set up equations with unknown coefficients for each term in the decomposition. These equations can be solved using algebraic methods to find the values of the unknown coefficients.

4. Can all rational functions be decomposed into partial fractions?

Yes, all proper rational functions (where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator) can be decomposed into partial fractions. However, some improper rational functions may require additional steps or techniques to be decomposed.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition may not always be possible if the denominator of the rational function cannot be factored. It also may not be useful for solving integrals with complex roots. Additionally, the process can become more complicated for higher degree polynomials in the denominator.