Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, when evaluating a problem with a partial fraction decomposition, if there is an irreducible factor in the denominator, you want to put a polynomial one degree less than this factor in the numerator. This general linear polynomial is of the form $Ax+B$.
shamieh
When I'm evaluating a problem like
\(\displaystyle
\int \frac{2x^2 + 8x + 9}{(x^2 + 2x + 5)(x + 2)} = \frac{Ax + B}{x^2 + 2x + 5} + \frac{C}{x+2}\)

I understand how to get the C part, that's simple. But what is a Good trick to know that I need to have \(\displaystyle Ax + B\) over the \(\displaystyle x^2 + 2x + 5\) denominator? Is there a way I can remember it easier? Because sometimes I will mistakenly put \(\displaystyle Ax + Bx\) or \(\displaystyle (A + B)\)/denominator + \(\displaystyle C\)/denominator

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an irreducible factor in the denominator, then in the partial fraction decomposition, you want to put a polynomial one degree less than this factor in the numerator.

So, if for example, you have an irreducible quadratic factor in the denominator, you want to put a general linear polynomial over this factor in the decomposition. The general linear polynomial is of the form $Ax+B$.

Awesome, thanks Mark.

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves expressing a fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with distinct denominators.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows us to solve complex integration problems involving rational functions. It also helps us to simplify algebraic expressions and solve systems of equations.

3. What is the process for performing partial fraction decomposition?

The process for performing partial fraction decomposition involves the following steps:

• Factor the denominator of the rational function into irreducible factors.
  • Write the rational function as a sum of fractions with each irreducible factor as the denominator.
  • Determine the unknown coefficients by equating the numerators of the original function and the decomposed fractions.
  • Combine like terms and simplify the resulting expression.

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using partial fraction decomposition?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions to using partial fraction decomposition. It can only be used for rational functions (fractions with polynomials in the numerator and denominator) and the denominator must be factorable into distinct linear or irreducible quadratic factors. Additionally, not all rational functions can be decomposed using this method.

5. How can I check if my partial fraction decomposition is correct?

You can check if your partial fraction decomposition is correct by performing the reverse process, known as partial fraction integration. If you end up with the original rational function, then your decomposition is correct. You can also check your solution by plugging in values for the variables and seeing if it satisfies the original equation.