Partial Fraction Decomposition with Integration

In summary, the author is trying to solve for x in an equation involving three unknowns, A, B, and C. They plugged in A and found that A=2. They then plugged in B and found that B=3-A. They then plugged in C and found that C=2A-3. They solved for x and found that x=2.
jdawg

Homework Statement

∫(2x3-4x-8)/(x2-x)(x2+4) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫(2x3-4x-8)/x(x-1)(x2+4) dx
Next I left off the integral sign so I could do the partial fractions:

2x3-4x-8=(A/x)+(B/(x-1))+((Cx+D)/(x2+4))

2x3-4x-8=A(x3-x2+4x-4)+B(x3+4x)+(Cx+D)(x2-x)

2x3-4x-8=x3(A+B+C)-x2(A+C-D)+x(4A+4B-D)-4A

2=A+B+C

0=A+C-D

-4=4A+4B-D

-8=-A(4)
A=2

Did I set this up correctly? I'm not entirely sure how to solve for these variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me so far, besides a few parentheses errors. Remember if a number is in the denominator, it needs to have parentheses around the whole number.

You figured out A, good. Now you are left with three equations and three unknowns. Plug in your value for A into all of them. Now choose any equation and solve for a variable (try to avoid fractions if you can). Now plug this variable into another equation and solve for either variable. Finally, plug that variable into the final equation to solve for one variable. Now repeat the process until all the variables are solved for.

For example, in the two variable case you may have ##A+B=3, A-B=1##. Solving for B you get B = 3 - A, then A - (3 - A) = 1, 2A - 3 = 1, 2A = 4, A = 2. Plug it back into solve for B.

Thanks so much! I figured it out :)

Nice job! I tried to make my explanation as clear as possible but it turned out to be verbose; I'm sure it could have been explained easier.

scurty said:
Nice job! I tried to make my explanation as clear as possible but it turned out to be verbose; I'm sure it could have been explained easier.

No, it was great! I understood you perfectly :)

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition with Integration

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in calculus to break down a complex rational function into simpler, easier-to-integrate fractions. This allows for easier integration and computation of the integral.

2. How is partial fraction decomposition used in integration?

Partial fraction decomposition is used to simplify the integration of rational functions, which cannot be integrated using basic integration techniques. By breaking the rational function into simpler fractions, integration becomes more manageable.

3. What is the process of partial fraction decomposition?

The process of partial fraction decomposition involves breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions by finding its partial fractions. This is done by equating the given rational function to a sum of simpler fractions with unknown constants, and then solving for the constants using algebraic manipulation.

4. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is used when integrating rational functions, especially those with higher degree polynomials in the numerator and denominator. It is also used in solving differential equations and in finding Laplace transforms.

5. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition?

The main benefit of using partial fraction decomposition is that it simplifies the integration process for complex rational functions. It also allows for the use of basic integration techniques, making integration more manageable. Additionally, partial fraction decomposition can be used in other areas of mathematics such as solving differential equations and finding Laplace transforms.