Partial Fraction Decomposition Problem

In summary: Here is the justification: \frac{7}{3s^2(3s+1)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{B}{s^2} + \frac{C}{3s+1} Multiplying through by the common denominator, 7 = As(3s+1) + B(3s+1) + Cs^27 = As(3s+1) + 3Bs^2 + B + Cs^27 = (3A+C)s^2 + (A+3B)s + BB = 7 \Rightarrow A = -37 = (9C-3)s^2 + (3C+9
ko_kidd
[tex]\frac{7}{3s^{2}(3s+1)}[/tex]

Can this be decomposed, and how?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say, yes; it can be decomposed; without my first relearning the method and trying to decompose to partial fractions. Your denominators might be [tex] \[
3s^2
\]
[/tex] and [tex] \[
3s + 1
\]
[/tex]

Yep. I understood that much, but I'm confused about what I can do from there because I end up with:

[tex]\frac{A}{3s^{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{B}{3s+1}[/tex]

which would equal out to

[tex]\frac{A}{3s^{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{B}{3s+1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{7}{3s^{2}(3s+1)}[/tex]

then

7 = [tex]A(3s+1)[/tex] + [tex]3Bs^{2}[/tex]

--which is where I'm stuck, because eliminating "s" leaves me with A = 7, which doesn't make sense if I want to separate the fraction.

It is important to remember that if one of the factors are squared, then you need to fractions for that expression, i.e. for (7/3)//(s^2(3s+1)), you need to decompose it into a/s AND b/s^2, in addition to c/(3s+1).

[tex]\frac{7}{3s^{2}(3s+1)}=\frac{As+B}{3s^{2}}+\frac{C}{3s+1}[/tex]
A=-21
B=7
C=21

Last edited:
You may need to fill in some missing steps, but this seemed to work:
[tex] \[
\begin{array}{l}
\frac{a}{{3s^2 }} + \frac{b}{{3s + 1}} = performSteps = \frac{{(3s + 1)a + 3s^2 b}}{{3s^2 (3s + 1)}} \\
fromOriginalDeno\min ator,\;0s + 7 = 3s^2 b + 3sa + a \\
Answer:\;\;a = 7\quad b = \frac{{ - 7}}{s} \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

Hmm, I'll have to try to this in a second.--wow the method gao xiong did works but I don't recall seeing this in my initial searches through the textbook or online.

Nice method, thanks.
Big-T, I don't understand where the a/s would come from if the highest polynomial is 9s^3 (or the highest term is cubic) when you combine the denominator.

Last edited:
gao_xiong's form makes the best sense, and he obtained constants as answers. He decided that [tex] \[
3s^2
\] [/tex]
is an irreducible quadratic expression and gave a suitable linear binomial expression with it.

another problem that's confusing me

I have one more problem.

Would this:[tex]\frac{87}{(x)(x^{2}+13x+38)}[/tex]

simplify to something like

[tex]\frac{Ax+B}{x^{2}+13x+38} + \frac{C}{x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{87}{(x)(x^{2}+13x+38)}[/tex]

ko_kidd said:
I have one more problem.

Would this:[tex]\frac{87}{(x)(x^{2}+13x+38)}[/tex]

simplify to something like

[tex]\frac{Ax+B}{x^{2}+13x+38} + \frac{C}{x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{87}{(x)(x^{2}+13x+38)}[/tex]

well first look if [tex]\{x^{2}+13x+38}[/tex] has any roots over reals so the problem could get more simplified, since you could express that to some form of (x+-a)(x+-b) where a,b are the real roots.
then it would be of the form
[tex]\frac{A}{x+-a} + \frac{B}{x+-b}+\frac{C}{x}[/tex]

Last edited:
ko_kidd said:
[tex]\frac{7}{3s^{2}(3s+1)}[/tex]

Can this be decomposed, and how?

symbolipoint said:
I'd say, yes; it can be decomposed; without my first relearning the method and trying to decompose to partial fractions. Your denominators might be [tex] \[
3s^2
\]
[/tex] and [tex] \[
3s + 1
\]
[/tex]

With that "s2", you are going to need both 1/s and 1/s2.
[tex]\frac{7}{3s^2(3s+1)}= \frac{A}{s}+ \frac{B}{s^2}+ \frac{C}{3s+1}[/tex]
Multiplying through by the common denominator, [itex]7= As(3s+1)+ B(3s+1)+ Cs^2[/itex]. Taking s= 0, 7= B. Taking s= -1/3, 7= C/9 so C= 63. Finally, taking s= 1, 7= 4A+ 4B+ C= 4A+ 28+ 63. 4A= 7- 91= -84, A= -21.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but how do [you] rationalize

a 1/s and 1/s^2 from one 1/s^2. I've never seen that before.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
With that "s2", you are going to need both 1/s and 1/s2.
[tex]\frac{7}{3s^2(3s+1)}= \frac{A}{s}+ \frac{B}{s^2}+ \frac{C}{3s+1}[/tex]
Multiplying through by the common denominator, [itex]7= As(3s+1)+ B(3s+1)+ Cs^2[/itex]. Taking s= 0, 7= B. Taking s= -1/3, 7= C/9 so C= 63. Finally, taking s= 1, 7= 4A+ 4B+ C= 4A+ 28+ 63. 4A= 7- 91= -84, A= -21.

You lost the 7 in the original numerator. The correct values are A = -3, B = 1, C = 9.

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition Problem

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This is done by finding the individual fractions that, when added together, are equal to the original function.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is used when dealing with rational functions, particularly when integrating them. It allows for easier integration by breaking down the function into simpler fractions.

3. How is partial fraction decomposition done?

The first step in partial fraction decomposition is to factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, using the factors, we can write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions with unknown coefficients. These coefficients can be solved for using algebraic manipulation and solving a system of equations.

4. What is the purpose of partial fraction decomposition?

The purpose of partial fraction decomposition is to simplify a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration, as well as a better understanding of the overall function.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction decomposition?

Yes, there are limitations to partial fraction decomposition. It can only be used on rational functions with distinct linear factors in the denominator. If the function has repeated or irreducible quadratic factors, additional techniques may be needed to fully decompose the function.