Partial fraction decomposition: One quick question

In summary: It is a convention that might vary from book to book. I would write the answer as\frac{1}{z^2(z+ i)(z- i)}= \frac{1}{z}- \frac{i}{2z^2}+ \frac{1}{2iz+ 2}+ \frac{1}{2iz- 2} and not worry about the "i".
nate9228

Homework Statement

Give the partial fraction decomposition of 1/z4+z2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about the final answer. The book gives the answer to be 1/z2+ 1/2i(z+i)- 1/2i(z-i). For my answer I keep getting a negative for both of the 1/2i coefficients, i.e my answer has a - where the book puts a +, and I can not for the life of me figure out what I am missing. My answer revolves around 1= A(z+i)(z-i)+ Bz2(z-i)+ Cz2(z+i) and then solving for the coefficients. How is B= 1/2i and not -(1/2i)?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, write it correctly! What you wrote would normally be interpreted as [itex](1/z)^4+ z^2[/itex] but I am sure you mean [tex]1/(z^4+ z^2)= 1/[z^2(z+i)(z- i)][/tex]. Normally, I would look for partial fractions with real coefficitents, but with tthe "book answer" you give it must be of the form
[tex]\frac{1}{z^2(z+ i)(z- i)}= \frac{A}{z}+ \frac{B}{z^2}+ \frac{C}{z+ i}+ \frac{D}{z- i}[/tex]

Multiplying both sides by [tex]z^2(z+ i)(z- i)[/tex] gives [tex]1= Az(z- i)(z+ i)+ B(z+ i)(z- i)+ Cz^2(z- i)+ Dz^2(z+ i)[/tex]

Taking z= 0, 1= B. Taking z= i, 1= D(-1)(2i) so that D= -1/2i= (1/2)i. Taking z= -i, 1= C(-1)(-2i)= 2iC so that C= 1/2i or -(1/2)i. I think that last is what you are asking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Partial fraction decomposition: One quick question

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It involves finding the unique fractions that, when added together, form the original function.

Why is partial fraction decomposition useful?

Partial fraction decomposition is useful because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions, making them easier to integrate or differentiate. It also helps us to identify important features of the function, such as its poles and residues.

What are the steps involved in partial fraction decomposition?

The steps involved in partial fraction decomposition are as follows:1. Factor the denominator of the rational function.2. Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, with each fraction having a single factor of the denominator.3. Determine the coefficients of each fraction by equating the numerators of the original function and the decomposed fractions.4. Solve for the unknown coefficients by using algebraic methods or by substituting in values for the variables.5. Check the solution by substituting the coefficients back into the decomposed fractions and comparing with the original function.

Can any rational function be decomposed into partial fractions?

Yes, any rational function can be decomposed into partial fractions. However, the process may become more complex for functions with higher degree denominators or repeated factors.

What are some applications of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is used in various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving rational functions, such as circuit analysis and signal processing.