Partial differentiation question rocket trajectory

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the derivative of the expression involving the three coordinate functions x(t), y(t), and z(t) and how to handle the t's in the resulting expression for speed. The suggested approach is to calculate x^2 + y^2 + z^2, then take the square root and differentiate with respect to t using the chain rule. It is also noted that the resulting expression for speed will be a function of t and therefore the t's should not be eliminated.
AwfulPhysicist

Homework Statement

The problem and my attempt are attached

Homework Equations

Chain rule for partial differentiation perhaps

And basic algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of how to approach this but I differentiated all the expression at the top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 464
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you try and differentiate the square root [itex] \sqrt{x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 + z(t)^2} [/itex] to [itex] x(t)^2 + y(t)^2 + z(t)^2 [/itex] first and work from there?

AwfulPhysicist said:

Homework Statement

The problem and my attempt are attached

Homework Equations

Chain rule for partial differentiation perhaps
No. The three coordinate functions x(t), y(t), and z(t) are functions of t alone, and you're asked to find dr/dt.

Calculate x2 + y2 + z2, then take the square root, then differentiate with respect to t.
AwfulPhysicist said:
And basic algebra

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure of how to approach this but I differentiated all the expression at the top.

In your work it looks like you're trying to integrate both sides. Try to resist that urge.

Mark44 said:
No. The three coordinate functions x(t), y(t), and z(t) are functions of t alone, and you're asked to find dr/dt.

Calculate x2 + y2 + z2, then take the square root, then differentiate with respect to t.In your work it looks like you're trying to integrate both sides. Try to resist that urge.
hi

How can I differentiate this?! Is it just
(Terms)^1/2 and differentiate using chain rule?

Also how would I be able to get rid of the t's at the end?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 412
I've differentiated it using the chain rule, looks horrible

But now I need to get rid of the t's

AwfulPhysicist said:
hi

Yes.
AwfulPhysicist said:
You don't get rid of them.

AwfulPhysicist said:
I've differentiated it using the chain rule, looks horrible

But now I need to get rid of the t's
Please post your work here in the form, not as an image, and especially not as an image that is turned on its side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 390
Mark44 said:
Please post your work here in the form, not as an image, and especially not as an image that is turned on its side.
Yeah sorry, sure.

AwfulPhysicist said:
hi

Yes, it is just (Terms)1/2 and differentiate using chain rule .

You don't get rid of the time. The resulting expression for speed is a function of time, t .

AwfulPhysicist said:

[itex] \frac{dr}{dt} [/itex] is a function of [itex] t [/itex] so you don't want to get rid of the t's. The t's might cancel out in some problems, but, in general, we expect a function of t to have t's in it.

Related to Partial differentiation question rocket trajectory

1. What is partial differentiation and how is it used in rocket trajectory calculations?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. In rocket trajectory calculations, it is used to determine how the trajectory of a rocket changes with respect to time, position, and velocity.

2. Can you explain the concept of a rocket's trajectory and how it is affected by partial differentiation?

A rocket's trajectory refers to the path it takes through space from launch to landing. Partial differentiation is used to calculate the rocket's acceleration, which in turn affects its velocity and position at any given time. By differentiating the acceleration function, we can determine the rocket's changing velocity and position over time, which ultimately determines its trajectory.

3. How does partial differentiation help in optimizing a rocket's trajectory?

Partial differentiation allows us to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a rocket's position and velocity, which is crucial in optimizing its trajectory. By analyzing these rates of change, we can make adjustments to the rocket's thrust, angle, and other factors to achieve the desired trajectory.

4. What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation in rocket trajectory calculations?

Partial differentiation is used in various aspects of rocket trajectory calculations, including determining optimal launch angles and thrust, predicting fuel consumption, and calculating the effects of external forces (such as gravity and air resistance) on the rocket's trajectory. It is also used in simulating and analyzing the trajectory of space probes and satellites.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial differentiation in rocket trajectory calculations?

While partial differentiation is a powerful tool in rocket trajectory calculations, it is not without limitations. It assumes that all other variables are constant, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Also, errors in initial measurements or assumptions can affect the accuracy of the calculations. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations and use other methods of analysis to verify the results.