Partial Differentiation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given as an assignment, a partial differential equation, and a suggestion to classify the pde. The problem is then stated in its entirety and boundary conditions are given. Various methods are discussed, including multiplying by \rho^{2} to separate the variables, but the issue of \rho^{2} remaining in one of the PDE's is mentioned.
Lucky mkhonza
Hi to all,

I have been given the following problem as an assignment.

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \chi^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial Z^2}+B^2\phi = 0 [/tex]

Here is my attempt to the problem:
Assuming [tex] \phi = S(\rho,\chi)Z(z) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi)}\frac{\partial ^2 S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho }\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho^2}\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \chi^2} + \frac {1}{Z}\frac{\partial ^2 Z}{\partial Z^2} + B^2 = 0 [/tex]

Separating the variables we get

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 z}{\partial Z^2} + B^2 Z = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi)}\frac{\partial ^2 S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho }\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{S(\rho,\chi) \rho^2}\frac{\partial S(\rho,\chi)}{\partial \chi^2} + B^2 = 0 [/tex]

Assuming [tex] S(\rho, \chi) = \rho(\rho) \chi(\chi) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial ^2 \rho}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho^2 }\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2 \chi}\frac{\partial ^2 \chi}{\partial \chi^2} + B^2 = 0 [/tex]

How can I solve this last PDE?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I haven't actually tried the problem, but you could try first to classify the pde (hyperbolic, elliptic, parabolic). In this case, the class of the pde depends on your choice of [tex]\rho[/tex]. Have you tried it?

if you multiply by [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex] you'll be able to separate the variables completely.

[Hyperreality] Okay, I haven't actually tried the problem, but you could try first to classify the pde (hyperbolic, elliptic, parabolic). In this case, the class of the pde depends on your choice of [tex]\rho[/tex]
. Have you tried it? [/Q]

I don't know as to which class the PDE falls to. Let me state the whole problem so that it becomes clear to everyone.
Solve the following

[tex] \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \rho} + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial \chi^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 \phi}{\partial Z^2}+B^2\phi = 0 [/tex]

Where: 0 < [tex] \rho [/tex] < R, 0 < [tex] \chi [/tex] < [tex] \pi [/tex], [tex] -\frac{H}{2} < z < \frac{H}{2} [/tex]

The Boundary Conditions are

[tex] \phi(R,\chi,z) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \phi(\rho,0,z) = \phi(\rho,\pi,z) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \phi(\rho,\chi, \pm \frac{H}{2}) = 0 [/tex]

[Dr Transport] if you multiply by [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex] you'll be able to separate the variables completely. [/Q]

As you suggested to multiply the last PDE by [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex], when separating the PDE's involving both [tex] \rho [/tex] and [tex] \chi [/tex] I still have [tex] \rho^{2} [/tex] on one of the PDE's involving [tex] \chi [/tex]. See below

[tex] \frac{1}{\chi}\frac{\partial ^2 \chi}{\partial \chi^2} + B^2 \rho^2 = 0 [/tex]

And

[tex] \rho \frac{\partial ^2 \rho}{\partial \rho^2} + \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \rho} + B^2 \rho^2 = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Partial Differentiation Problem

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus to analyze complex functions with multiple variables.

What is the purpose of partial differentiation?

The purpose of partial differentiation is to calculate the slope or rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while keeping all other variables fixed. This allows us to better understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values in different scenarios.

What is the difference between partial differentiation and total differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. Total differentiation, on the other hand, involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to all of its variables simultaneously. Partial differentiation is used in multivariable calculus, while total differentiation is used in differential equations.

What are the basic rules for partial differentiation?

The basic rules for partial differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are similar to those used in single-variable calculus, but with the added complexity of dealing with multiple variables. It is important to understand and apply these rules correctly in order to solve partial differentiation problems accurately.

What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many real-world applications, including in physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. For example, it can be used to analyze the rate of change of temperature in a room, the demand for a product based on different variables, or the optimization of a manufacturing process. It is a powerful tool for understanding complex systems and making predictions about their behavior.