Partial differentiation problem, multiple variables (chain rule?)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial derivative of z with respect to θ when z = x^2 + 2y^2, x = r cos θ, y = r sin θ. The textbook suggests rewriting the equation to only include θ and x, and then differentiating. After substituting for y, the solution is given as 4r^2 tan θ, but the student is unsure how to arrive at this answer. Through discussion and hints, it is determined that the student needs to use the product rule and simplify using trigonometric identities to arrive at the correct solution.
bawbag

Homework Statement

if z = x2 + 2y2 , x = r cos θ , y = r sin θ , find the partial derivative

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex]

Homework Equations

z = x2 + 2y2
x = r cos θ
y = r sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

The textbook says that the equation should be re-written to include only the variables θ and x, and then differentiated with respect to θ.

Substituting y = r sin θ :

z = x2 + 2r2 sin2 θ

then [itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex] = 4r2sin θ cos θ

However the solutions in the book give

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex] = 4r2 tan θ

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bawbag said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

z = x2 + 2y2
x = r cos θ
y = r sin θ

The textbook says that the equation should be re-written to include only the variables θ and x, and then differentiated with respect to θ.

z = x2 + 2r2 sin2 θ

then [itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex] = 4r2sin θ cos θ

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

You need to differentiate [itex]y^2 = r^2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] using the product rule: [itex]r[/itex] is not independent of [itex]\theta[/itex], since [tex]
r = \frac{x}{\cos \theta}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks! I used the product rule to differentiate, but I still think I'm missing something. My working is as follows:

z = x2 + 2r2 sin2 θ

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}2r^{2}sin^{2}\theta[/itex]

[itex]= 4r\frac{\partial r}{\partial \theta}sin^{2}\theta + 2r^{2}2sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] (chain rule for dr/dθ)

since [itex] r = \frac{x}{cos \theta}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial \theta} = \frac{-x sin \theta}{cos^{2} \theta}[/itex]

giving [itex] -4r \frac{x sin \theta}{cos^{2} \theta} sin^{2} \theta + 4r^{2} sin \theta cos \theta [/itex]

I can replace x with r / cos θ, but I don't see how it reduces to the given solution of 4r2 tan θ.

Thanks again

bawbag said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

z = x2 + 2y2
x = r cos θ
y = r sin θ

z = x2 + 2r2 sin2 θ

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

You are missing the fact that ##x## is held constant. One way to do it is:
[tex] dz = 2 x\, dx + 4 y \,dy\\
dx = \cos(\theta) \, dr - r \sin(\theta)\, d \theta\\
dy = \sin(\theta)\, dr + r \cos(\theta)\, d \theta[/tex]
But ##dx = 0 \Longrightarrow dr = r \tan(\theta) \, d \theta##, so
[tex] dy = r \sin(\theta)\tan(\theta)\, d \theta + r \cos(\theta) \,d \theta
= r \left( \frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)} + \cos(\theta)\right)\, d \theta
= \frac{r}{\cos(\theta)}\, d \theta [/tex]
Thus
[tex] dz = 4 y dy = 4 r \sin(\theta) (r/\cos(\theta)) \,d \theta = 4 r^2 \tan(\theta) \, d \theta [/tex]
The partial ##(\partial z/\partial \theta)_{x} ## is the coefficient of ##d \theta## in the above.

Likes 1 person
bawbag said:
Thanks! I used the product rule to differentiate, but I still think I'm missing something. My working is as follows:

z = x2 + 2r2 sin2 θ

[itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}2r^{2}sin^{2}\theta[/itex]

[itex]= 4r\frac{\partial r}{\partial \theta}sin^{2}\theta + 2r^{2}2sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] (chain rule for dr/dθ)

since [itex] r = \frac{x}{cos \theta}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial \theta} = \frac{-x sin \theta}{cos^{2} \theta}[/itex]

The derivative of [itex]u^{-1}[/itex] with respect to [itex]u[/itex] is [itex]-u^{-2}[/itex]. The derivative of [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]-\sin \theta[/itex]. The two minus signs cancel.

I can replace x with r / cos θ

You can't, but you can replace [itex]x[/itex] with [itex]r \cos \theta[/itex] and do some trigonometric simplifications; the first step is to express everything in terms of sines and cosines.

Likes 1 person
bawbag said:

z = x2 + 2r2 sin2 θ

giving [itex] -4r \frac{x sin \theta}{cos^{2} \theta} sin^{2} \theta + 4r^{2} sin \theta cos \theta [/itex]

I can replace x with r / cos θ, but I don't see how it reduces to the given solution of 4r2 tan θ.

Thanks again

Try saying z = x2 + 2[itex]\frac{x^2}{cos^2θ}[/itex]sin2θ = x2(1 + 2tan2θ)

Now with this for z you can perform [itex]\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial \theta}\right)_{x}[/itex] quite easily.

Hint* Remember, that after you perform the derivation to look for anywhere you can make a substitution to remove 'x'.

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
The derivative of [itex]u^{-1}[/itex] with respect to [itex]u[/itex] is [itex]-u^{-2}[/itex]. The derivative of [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]-\sin \theta[/itex]. The two minus signs cancel.

You can't, but you can replace [itex]x[/itex] with [itex]r \cos \theta[/itex] and do some trigonometric simplifications; the first step is to express everything in terms of sines and cosines.

That was a typo, my bad. So after sorting the minus sign, I'm left with essentially what I had before, but I can't see anyway of reducing [itex] 4r^{2} tan \theta sin^{2} \theta + 4r^{2} sin \theta cos \theta[/itex] to [itex] 4r^{2} tan \theta[/itex] without ending up with a huge mess.

Sorry for being dense :P

Figured it out. Thanks guys. Turns out I laid it out the way jaytech said, but didn't use the product rule properly so I abandoned that method and tried it another way, which lead to that whole mess. Whoops!

Thanks to everyone who helped!

You should try the steps I previously mentioned. Then reflect on why it works..

bawbag said:
That was a typo, my bad. So after sorting the minus sign, I'm left with essentially what I had before, but I can't see anyway of reducing [itex] 4r^{2} tan \theta sin^{2} \theta + 4r^{2} sin \theta cos \theta[/itex] to [itex] 4r^{2} tan \theta[/itex] without ending up with a huge mess.

Sorry for being dense :P

[tex]\sin \theta \cos \theta = \tan\theta \cos^2 \theta[/tex]

Likes 1 person
I did use the steps you suggested, jaytech. As for why it works, I imagine that I should be able to reach the solution from any starting point, with proper application of the chain rule/product rule, but arranging it as you suggested means I can skip over a lengthy simplification process after the operation. Any other insight you care to offer? :)

Related to Partial differentiation problem, multiple variables (chain rule?)

1. What is partial differentiation and why is it important?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is important because it allows us to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables is changed, which is useful in many scientific fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one independent variable. Partial differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant.

3. What is the chain rule in partial differentiation and how is it applied?

The chain rule is a rule used in partial differentiation to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it allows us to break down a complex function into simpler parts and find its derivative.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to functions with multiple variables. In this case, the partial derivatives of each variable are taken separately and then multiplied together to find the overall derivative.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation and the chain rule?

Partial differentiation and the chain rule have many real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate the rate of change of a variable in a physical system, in economics to analyze the relationship between multiple variables in a market, and in engineering to optimize the design of complex systems by finding the optimal values of variables.