Partial differentiation - Constants

In summary, the conversation discusses a thermodynamics problem involving an equality and the rearrangement of its variables. The solution is determined using the triple product rule and the cyclic relation. The summary also refers to relevant Wikipedia entries for further clarification.
Jalo

Homework Statement

Consider the following equality:

([itex]\frac{∂S}{∂V}[/itex])T = ([itex]\frac{∂P}{∂T}[/itex])V

If I rearrange the equality so that I write:

([itex]\frac{∂S}{∂P}[/itex])? = ([itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex])?

What variables will be constant in each side?
I'm having some trouble in a few thermodynamics problems because of this...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this. Normally I just ignore and assume that every variable except the variable of differentiation is a constant.
If anyone could confirm or correct me I'd be thankful.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jalo said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following equality:

([itex]\frac{∂S}{∂V}[/itex])T = ([itex]\frac{∂P}{∂T}[/itex])V

If I rearrange the equality so that I write:

([itex]\frac{∂S}{∂P}[/itex])? = ([itex]\frac{∂V}{∂T}[/itex])?

What variables will be constant in each side?
I'm having some trouble in a few thermodynamics problems because of this...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this. Normally I just ignore and assume that every variable except the variable of differentiation is a constant.
If anyone could confirm or correct me I'd be thankful.

Thanks.
The following may help you.

For the case in which three variables can be related by a function of the form f(x, y, z) = 0, then the following relations hold.

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_x\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y = -1[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_z = \frac{1}{\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\right)_y}[/itex]

See the following two Wikipedia entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product_rule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_differential#Cyclic_relation

Related to Partial differentiation - Constants

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. It allows us to examine how a function changes in response to changes in one variable, without changing the other variables.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation differs from ordinary differentiation in that it involves taking the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. In ordinary differentiation, we take the derivative with respect to one variable without considering the others.

3. What are the main applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to analyze and optimize multivariable functions in these fields, such as finding maximum or minimum values, determining rates of change, and solving optimization problems.

4. How do you perform partial differentiation?

To perform partial differentiation, we follow the same rules as ordinary differentiation, but we treat the other variables as constants. This means that we differentiate the function with respect to the variable of interest, treating all other variables as if they were constants. The resulting derivative is called the partial derivative.

5. What is the significance of constants in partial differentiation?

Constants play a crucial role in partial differentiation as they allow us to isolate the effect of one variable on the function while holding the others constant. Without constants, partial differentiation would not be possible, and we would not be able to analyze how a function changes with respect to one variable. Constants also help us to simplify and solve complex multivariable functions.