Partial Differentiation Confusion

In summary, RazerM found that:-\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{3(x+y)^2-8y}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}-y should still be treated as constant when finding the derivative inside the square root (in z), so \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{3(x+y)^2}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}
RazerM

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} [/tex] where [tex]z=\left( [x+y]^3-4y^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=\frac{3(x+y)^2-8y}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}[/tex]
but I am unsure whether [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] is the exact same or does not include the '-8y' in the numerator.

I get the feeling that when finding the derivative inside the square root (in z) that y should still be treated as constant and therefore have no -8y.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi RazerM! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(on this forum, you need to type "tex", not "TEX" :wink:)
RazerM said:

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} [/tex] where [tex]z=\left( [x+y]^3-4y^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=\frac{3(x+y)^2-8y}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}[/tex]
but I am unsure whether [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex] is the exact same or does not include the '-8y' in the numerator.

I get the feeling that when finding the derivative inside the square root (in z) that y should still be treated as constant and therefore have no -8y.

Yes, that's completely correct.

∂z/∂x means "keeping y constant", so that's exactly what you do! :smile:

So that means [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{3(x+y)^2}{2\sqrt{(x+y)^3-4y^2}}[/tex]?

Yup! :biggrin:

(nice LaTeX, btw :wink:)

I taught myself to use LaTeX to help me with my Physics Investigation as part of Advanced Higher Physics (Highest level of physics taught in school - Scotland), we never got told to use it but no way was I using MS Office or Openoffice's limited equation typesetting, would have been a nightmare :P

One of the many benefits of PF membership is that you can now use LaTeX as much as you like! :biggrin:

(in case you haven't found anything similar, a useful bookmark is http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000" :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Partial Differentiation Confusion

What is partial differentiation confusion?

Partial differentiation confusion refers to the confusion or difficulty in understanding the concept and application of partial differentiation in mathematics and science. Partial differentiation is a method used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

What causes partial differentiation confusion?

Partial differentiation confusion can be caused by a lack of understanding of basic calculus concepts, such as derivatives and multivariable functions. It can also be caused by a lack of practice and familiarity with the application of partial differentiation in real-world problems.

How can I overcome partial differentiation confusion?

To overcome partial differentiation confusion, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and to practice solving problems that involve partial differentiation. It can also be helpful to seek out resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to better understand the concept and its applications.

What are some common mistakes made in partial differentiation?

Some common mistakes made in partial differentiation include not correctly identifying the independent and dependent variables, using the wrong rules for differentiating functions, and not accounting for constants or other variables that should be held constant.

What are some real-world applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze the rate of change of physical quantities, such as velocity and acceleration, in motion problems. In engineering, it can be used to optimize designs and solve problems related to heat transfer and fluid mechanics. In economics, it can be used to analyze the relationship between multiple variables, such as supply and demand, and determine optimal production levels.