Partial Differential Equations (odd&even functions)

In summary, to find the full equation for f(x), you can use the initial conditions to set up the boundary conditions and manipulate the given function to satisfy those conditions.
icouv1
1. Homework Statement :

A function f : R → R is called “even across x∗ ” if f (x∗ − x) = f (x∗ + x) for every x and is called “odd across x∗ ” if f (x∗ − x) = −f (x∗ + x) for every x. Define f (x) for 0 ≤ x ≤ ℓ by setting f (x) = (x^2) . Extend f to all of R (i.e., define f (x) for all real x) in such a way that it is odd across x∗ = 0 and even across x∗ = ℓ.

2. Homework Equations :

1. conservation equations (transport): concentration, flux
(a) flow (flux = vu ) — fluid, traffic, etc.
(b) mixing: diffusion/dispersion (probability; flux = D ∇u )
reaction/diffusion systems
2. mechanics (Newton’s 3rd Law): force, potential energy, momentum
(a) wave equation; ICs and BCs
(b) beam, plate equations
3. steady state (equilibrium: balance equations)
4. some other examples . . . (e.g., Cauchy-Riemann equations)

**Also studying the heat equation/etc**

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

I understand the difference between "even" and "odd". I have created the following:
f(ℓ-x)=f(ℓ+x) even at "ℓ"
f(0-x)=-f(0-x) OR f(-x)=-f(x) odd at "0"

I think I need to use the above IC's to setup the BC's. Once I have the BC's determined I am not sure how to combine them to find the full equation for f (x) or where to start with f (x) = (x^2).

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Firstly, great job on understanding the concept of even and odd functions! You are on the right track with using the initial conditions to set up the boundary conditions. To find the full equation for f(x), you can use the fact that it needs to be even across x* = ℓ and odd across x* = 0.

For the even case, you can set up the boundary condition as f(ℓ-x) = f(ℓ+x) and use the function f(x) = (x^2) as a starting point. From there, you can manipulate the equation to satisfy the boundary condition. For example, you can try setting f(ℓ-x) = (ℓ-x)^2 and f(ℓ+x) = (ℓ+x)^2 and see if you can find a way to combine them to get back to f(x) = (x^2).

For the odd case, you can set up the boundary condition as f(0-x) = -f(0-x) or f(-x) = -f(x). Again, you can use the function f(x) = (x^2) as a starting point and manipulate the equation to satisfy the boundary condition. For example, you can try setting f(-x) = -(x^2) and see if you can find a way to combine it with f(x) = (x^2) to get back to the original function.

Remember to always check if your final equation satisfies both the even and odd conditions at their respective points. I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

Related to Partial Differential Equations (odd&even functions)

What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to these variables.

What is the difference between an odd and even function?

An odd function is a function where f(-x) = -f(x), meaning that it is symmetric about the origin. An even function is a function where f(-x) = f(x), meaning that it is symmetric about the y-axis. In other words, an odd function has rotational symmetry of 180 degrees and an even function has symmetry of 360 degrees.

How are odd and even functions related to partial differential equations?

Odd and even functions can be used to solve partial differential equations through the method of separation of variables. This method involves separating the independent variables in a partial differential equation and solving for each variable separately using the properties of odd and even functions.

What are some real-world applications of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering to model various phenomena, such as heat flow, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in economics and finance to model stock prices and interest rates.

What are some techniques for solving partial differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving partial differential equations include separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. Depending on the specific equation and boundary conditions, different techniques may be more suitable for finding a solution.