Partial Derivatives of x^2-y^2+2mn+15=0

In summary, the conversation is about proving two equations using partial derivatives in the context of fluid mechanics. The first equation involves x, y, u, and v while the second equation involves only u. The question asks for the partial derivatives of u with respect to x and y, and the given equations involve isolating the u term and taking the partial derivatives with respect to each variable.
iwan89
x^2 - y^2 +2mn +15 =0

x + 2xy - m^2 + n^2 -10 =0

The Question is:
Show that
del m/ del x = [m(1+2y) -2 x n ] / 2 (m^2 +n^2)

del m / del y = [x m+ n y] / (m^2 +n^2)

note that del= partial derivativesMy effort on solving this question is
Fx1=2x Fm1=2n
Fx2 =2y Fm2 =-2m

del m /del x = -Fx1/Fm1 + -Fx2/Fm2

the solution brings me nowhere near to answer..This is not a homework

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is somewhat confusing.

Could you use the advanced features and write your equations using latex?

Assuming I understand the first part of your post what does the fx1... stuff represent.

And what is the m and n are they variables dependent on x and y?

You mentioned this was for your research so what is the research and what level of math are you comfortable with?

@jedishrfu partial derivatives. Sorry sir I am not really good in latex. I am very sorry and i was hoping that you can understand my question thank you.

i edited my question...

Okay but I still don't understand what Fx1/Fm1 is ?

Do you mean dx1/dm1 the derivative of x1 with respect to m1?

You really need to use latex so we can see the real equations.

@jedishrfu please ignore my solution.try to draft your own solution.. the real question is

x^2 - y^2 +2mn +15 =0

x + 2xy - m^2 + n^2 -10 =0

The Question is:
Show that
del m/ del x = [m(1+2y) -2 x n ] / 2 (m^2 +n^2)

del m / del y = [x m+ n y] / (m^2 +n^2)

note that del= partial derivatives

im doing fluid mechanics

Okay can you at least write your equations on paper and upload a photo of the paper?

The del notation confuses me as there is a del operator which when evaluated uses partial derivatives as in the gradient of some scalar function of x,y, z.

Looks like the current PF doesn't have an editor mode to latex and all The specialized math notation so I guess the photo route is the way to go.

10726809_928957633784479_546825814_n.jpg

this is the real question :) thanks!

x2 - y2 + 2uv + 15 = 0
x + 2xy - u2 + v2 - 10 = 0
Using LaTeX, show that:
$$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{u(1 + 2y) - 2xv}{2(u^2 + v^2)}$$
and
$$\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = \frac{xu + vy}{u^2 + v^2}$$

You can right-click on the LaTeX stuff to show the Tex commands I used.

Likes jedishrfu
I haven't worked this all the way through, yet, but I would isolate the uv term in the first equation and take the partials of u with respect to x and then with respect to y. I would also isolate the u2 term in the second equation and take the partials of u w.r.t x and w.r.t. y.

Edit: I have worked this through for ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}## successfully, so the strategy I laid out above works. All it takes is a little bit of deft algebra to eliminate the partials of v with respect to the two independent variables.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
@Mark44 can you help me prove it? thank you so much :)

iwan89 said:
@Mark44 can you help me prove it? thank you so much :)
See post 11.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Okay can you at least write your equations on paper and upload a photo of the paper?

The del notation confuses me as there is a del operator which when evaluated uses partial derivatives as in the gradient of some scalar function of x,y, z.

I think his question is now clear; he said exactly what his symbols represent. He said ##\text{del} = \partial##.

However, we cannot help him until he demonstrates that he has done some work on the problem; he needs to show us his work. Those are the PF rules.

Ray Vickson said:
I think his question is now clear; he said exactly what his symbols represent. He said ##\text{del} = \partial##.

However, we cannot help him until he demonstrates that he has done some work on the problem; he needs to show us his work. Those are the PF rules.

Yes, I agree. I was asking for a more precise definition from the OP before helping.

If you notice though the confusion I had was the use of m,n instead of u,v and the meaning behind the Fx1... In his posts. He mentioned it was for fluid mechanics which routinely use the del operator and I wanted to make sure things were right before guiding him to a solution.

Related to Partial Derivatives of x^2-y^2+2mn+15=0

1. What is the formula for finding partial derivatives of x^2-y^2+2mn+15=0?

The formula for finding the partial derivative of a multivariable function is to take the derivative with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant. In this case, the partial derivatives would be:

∂/∂x(x^2-y^2+2mn+15) = 2x

∂/∂y(x^2-y^2+2mn+15) = -2y

∂/∂m(x^2-y^2+2mn+15) = 2n

∂/∂n(x^2-y^2+2mn+15) = 2m

2. How do you determine which variable to take the partial derivative with respect to?

Usually, the problem or context will specify which variable to take the derivative with respect to. It is important to follow this instruction, as differentiating with respect to different variables can result in different answers.

3. What is the purpose of finding partial derivatives in this equation?

Partial derivatives are useful in finding the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to a specific variable. They can also be used to find the gradient of a function, which indicates the direction of steepest increase.

4. Can you explain how to find the partial derivatives of a multivariable function using the chain rule?

The chain rule states that when taking the derivative of a composite function, the derivative is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. For example, to find ∂/∂x of f(g(x,y)), we would use the formula f'(g(x,y)) * g'(x,y). This can be applied to find the partial derivatives of x^2-y^2+2mn+15=0 by using the chain rule on each individual term.

5. What are some real-life applications of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to optimize functions in order to find the maximum or minimum values, which is useful in maximizing profits or minimizing costs in business. In physics, partial derivatives are used to understand the rate of change of variables in complex systems. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze various systems and processes.