Partial Derivatives for an Ideal Gas

The correct one is (∂V/∂P)T= (nR/P)Sorry, I took the wrong one. It is (∂V/∂P)T= (nR/P). In summary, the ideal gas is described by three parameters: p, V, and T, each of which can be expressed as a function of the other two. To find the partial derivatives for an ideal gas, either V or T can be held constant while the derivative is taken with respect to the other variable. The equation of state for an ideal gas is PV = nRT, indicating that the partial derivatives (∂P/V)T, (∂V/∂T)P, and (∂T/
Kelsi_Jade
The question is:
a) Find explicit expressions for an ideal gas for the partial derivatives:
(∂P/T)T, (∂V/∂T)P and (∂T/∂P)V

b) use the results from a) to evaluate the product
(∂P/V)T*(∂V/∂T)P*(∂T/∂P)V

c) Express the definitions of V(T,P) KT(T,P)an BT(T,V) in terms of the indicated independent variables, where each property depends on only two independent variables.

My problem is I don't fully understand what these partial derivatives are actually describing to set up expression for them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ideal gas is described by three parameters: p,V,T
Any of the three can be expressed as a function of the other two.
For example, pressure is a function of V and T: p(V,T).
Then you can have two derivatives of this function: either you keep V constant and take the derivative in respect to T or you keep T constant and take the derivative in respect to V.
The first one will be written as (∂p/∂T)V, the second one (∂p/∂V)T

Your first derivative (in the problem) has an error. It does not make much sense the way you wrote it. I mean the (∂P/T)T.

nasu said:
For example, pressure is a function of V and T: p(V,T).
Then you can have two derivatives of this function: either you keep V constant and take the derivative in respect to T or you keep T constant and take the derivative in respect to V.
The first one will be written as (∂p/∂T)V, the second one (∂p/∂V)T

Your first derivative (in the problem) has an error. It does not make much sense the way you wrote it. I mean the (∂P/T)T.

Oops, thanks for catching that - I corrected it above. If you can write it two ways, would their solutions be the same? Say if the function with respect to V is messy but that with respect to T is much easier to deal with, could you choose which one you want to use?

Kelsi_Jade said:
If you can write it two ways, would their solutions be the same? Say if the function with respect to V is messy but that with respect to T is much easier to deal with, could you choose which one you want to use?
Do you know the equation of state for an ideal gas?

PV=nRT

Kelsi_Jade said:
PV=nRT
So you see that you won't get anything "messy".

The use of one derivative or another usually depends on the physical situation you are considering: processes at constant temperature, constant pressure, etc.

Kelsi_Jade said:
If you can write it two ways, would their solutions be the same? Say if the function with respect to V is messy but that with respect to T is much easier to deal with, could you choose which one you want to use?

No, they are different, in general.
It's very easy to check this. Assume that you have F(x,y)= x^2*y and calculate the two partial derivatives.

And in physics the two have different units and different physical significance.

Thanks, I see that now that I've worked them out that they couldn't be the same. I questioned if that was possible in general but suspected for the example here they shouldn't be equal since they have different meaning.

So, just to check that my math is correct, for (∂P/T)T, (∂V/∂T)P and (∂T/∂P)V
(∂P/V)T=(-nRT/V^2)
(∂P/T)V=nR/V
(∂V/∂T)P = (nR/P)
(∂V/∂P)T= (nRT)
(∂T/∂P)V= (V/nR)
(∂T/∂V)P= (P/nR)

Last edited:
Kelsi_Jade said:
(∂V/∂T)P = (nR/P)
That one is incorrect. The others are ok.

DrClaude said:
That one is incorrect. The others are ok.

Hi DrClaude. I'm having trouble figuring out what you find incorrect about this. It looks OK to me.

V = (nR/P)T
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P=\frac{nR}{P}[/tex]

Sorry, I took the wrong one. It is

(∂V/∂P)T= (nRT)

that is incorrect.

Related to Partial Derivatives for an Ideal Gas

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

How are partial derivatives used in the study of ideal gases?

Partial derivatives are used in the study of ideal gases to understand how the thermodynamic properties, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, change with respect to each other while keeping other variables constant.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to partial derivatives?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is related to partial derivatives because the partial derivative of one variable with respect to another can be used to derive the ideal gas law.

Can partial derivatives be used to calculate changes in thermodynamic properties of an ideal gas?

Yes, partial derivatives can be used to calculate changes in thermodynamic properties of an ideal gas. By taking the partial derivative of a specific thermodynamic property, such as pressure, with respect to another property, such as temperature, one can determine the rate of change of that property with respect to the other.

Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives for ideal gases?

Yes, there are limitations to using partial derivatives for ideal gases. These include assuming that the gas behaves ideally, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios, and neglecting any external factors that may affect the gas, such as intermolecular forces. Additionally, the ideal gas law may not accurately predict the behavior of non-ideal gases, and thus, partial derivatives may not be as reliable in these cases.