Partial derivatives and complex numbers

In summary, the function is differentiable everywhere and the first derivative can be found using limits.
nmsurobert

Homework Statement

show that the following functions are differentiable everywhere and then also find f'(z) and f''(z).
(a) f(z) = iz + 2

so f(z) = ix -y +2

then u(x,y) = 2-y, v(x,y) = x

Homework Equations

z=x+iy
z=u(x,y) +iv(x,y)
Cauchy-Riemann conditions says is differentiable everywhere if :
∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y and ∂u/∂y = -∂v/∂x

The Attempt at a Solution

so using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions i find that the function is differentiable everywhere. the part I am stuck on is finding the first derivative.
f'(z) should be in the form of two partial derivatives right? because of the way the variables are set up.
so...
f'(z) =
∂z/∂x = ∂z/∂u(∂u/∂x) + ∂z/∂v(∂v/∂x)
∂z/∂y = ∂z/∂u/(∂u/∂y) + ∂z/∂v(∂v/∂y)

but where do i go from here? i can solve partials of u with respect to x or y but i don't know how to solve the partials of z with respect to u.

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:

Homework Statement

show that the following functions are differentiable everywhere and then also find f'(z) and f''(z).
(a) f(z) = iz + 2

so f(z) = ix -y +2then u(x,y) = 2-y, v(x,y) = x

Homework Equations

z=x+iy
z=u(x,y) +iv(x,y)
Cauchy-Riemann conditions says is differentiable everywhere if :
∂u/∂x = ∂v/∂y and ∂u/∂y = -∂v/∂x

The Attempt at a Solution

so using the Cauchy-Riemann conditions i find that the function is differentiable everywhere. the part I am stuck on is finding the first derivative.
f'(z) should be in the form of two partial derivatives right? because of the way the variables are set up.
so...
f'(z) =
∂z/∂x = ∂z/∂u(∂u/∂x) + ∂z/∂v(∂v/∂x)
∂z/∂y = ∂z/∂u/(∂u/∂y) + ∂z/∂v(∂v/∂y)

but where do i go from here? i can solve partials of u with respect to x or y but i don't know how to solve the partials of z with respect to u.

thank you!
Isn't f just a linear function of z?

The derivative of the function of z does not consist of partial derivatives, you are looking for df/dz. The process to do this is to use limits as both Δx and Δy approach zero, where the numerator is analogous to the definition of the single variable derivative is divided by Δx + iΔy, analogous to h in single variable differentiation

[itex]\frac{d}{dz} = \lim_{Δx,Δy\to0} \frac{u(x+Δx,y+Δy) - u(x,y) + iv(x+Δx,y+Δy)) - iv(x,y)}{Δx+iΔy} [/itex]

If you set Δy = 0 first, and let Δx → 0, then
[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = \frac{∂u(x,y)}{∂x} + i\frac{∂v(x,y)}{∂x} . . . (1) [/itex]

If you set Δx = 0 first, and let Δy → 0, then
[itex]\frac{df}{dz} = -i\frac{∂u(x,y)}{∂y} + \frac{∂v(x,y)}{∂y} . . . (2) [/itex]

Both of these are ways to calculate df/dz, IF the real part of (1) is equivalent to the real part of (2), and the imaginary part of (1) is equivalent to the imaginary part of (2). This is where the Cauchy-Riemman condition comes from.
If we equate the real parts of equations (1) and (2), we have:
[itex] \frac{∂u(x,y)}{∂x} = \frac{∂v(x,y)}{∂y} [/itex]
If we equate the imaginary parts of equations (1) and (2), we have:
[itex] \frac{∂v(x,y)}{∂x} = -\frac{∂u(x,y)}{∂y} [/itex]

Last edited:
Brian T said:
[itex]\frac{d}{dz} = \lim_{Δx,Δy\to0} \frac{u(x+Δx,y+Δy) - u(x,y) + iv(x+Δx,y+Δy)) - iv(x,y)}{Δx+iΔy} [/itex]
d/dz is an operator, not a number or function. On the left side you should have ##\frac{df}{dz}## or something similar, indicating that you are taking the derivative of f with respect to z.

Mark44 said:
d/dz is an operator, not a number or function. On the left side you should have ##\frac{df}{dz}## or something similar, indicating that you are taking the derivative of f with respect to z.

You're right, I entirely forgot the df on the first part.

It won't let me edit the post so just keep that in mind :]

Related to Partial derivatives and complex numbers

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ and is used in multivariate calculus to analyze functions of multiple variables.

2. How are partial derivatives and complex numbers related?

Partial derivatives can be taken for functions of complex variables, just like they can be taken for functions of real variables. However, the rules for taking partial derivatives of complex functions differ from those for real functions, since complex numbers have both a real and imaginary component.

3. Can complex numbers have partial derivatives?

Yes, complex numbers can have partial derivatives, as long as the function is defined over a complex domain and the partial derivatives are taken with respect to complex variables.

4. What is the Cauchy-Riemann equations for partial derivatives of complex functions?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex function to be differentiable at a point. They are expressed as a system of two equations, stating that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of the complex variable must satisfy certain conditions.

5. How are partial derivatives of complex functions used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives of complex functions are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They are especially useful in analyzing systems with multiple variables, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and optimization problems.