Partial Derivative of f(x) with Sin(x^2)

In summary: Now, how about trying to APPLY it instead of repeating it?In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial derivative of a function f(x(1), ..., x(n)) = sum(i=1) sin(x(i)^2) x(i) and how to write the equation in a simplified form to make it easier to find the derivatives. The conversation also includes discussing the correct formula for finding the derivative of a product of two functions.
teng125
f( x(1), ..., x(n) ) = sum (i=1) sin(x(i)^2) x(i)

does anybody knows how to solve this pls

Physics news on Phys.org
teng125 said:
f( x(1), ..., x(n) ) = sum (i=1) sin(x(i)^2) x(i)

does anybody knows how to solve this pls

What is this exactly? And what does this have to do with partial derivatives?

Don't be intimidated by the sum sign. Write what the sum is explicitely and you'll find a more familiar form. Also, you can resolve the special case n=3 and renaming x(1)=1, x(2)=y and x(3)=z first before tackling the more abstract general case of n variables.

f( x(1), ..., x(n) ) = sin(x(1)^2) x(1) + sin(x(2)^2)x(2) + sin(x(2)^2)x(2) + sin(x(3)^2)x(3) + ... +sin(x(n)^2)x(n)

should i write this eqn like this??

There's nothing here to "solve".
You just have a function f, given by the prescription:
[tex]f(x_{1},\cdots{x}_{n})=\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_{i}\sin(x_{i}^{2})[/tex]

so u mean i just have to write the eqn above and no need to do partial derivative as the question ask to do so??

It isn't an equation, it is a definition of the function f.

okok...thanx

Now that you've expanded the sum, it should be easier to see what the derivative wrt x(1) is. (remember, the derivative of a sum is the sum of the derivative)

f( x(1), ..., x(n) ) = sin(x(1)^2) x(1) + sin(x(2)^2)x(2) + sin(x(2)^2)x(2) + sin(x(3)^2)x(3) + ... +sin(x(n)^2)x(n)

so should i write this eqn like this??

for quasar987

Again, this isn't an equation, but a definition of a function
Secondly, try to formulate IN YOUR OWN WORDS what you are supposed to do with this function! (This, you have failed to do so far)

This form of the expression makes it easier to "find" the derivatives, so I would write the equation this way.

Can you find the derivative of f(x) = xsin(x²) ?

i think can by using u'v + vu' formula rite??

teng125 said:
i think can by using u'v + vu' formula rite??
No, no, no. Another wrong answer. It's uv'. Repeat after me: (uv)' = u'v + uv', (uv)' = u'v + uv'.

Related to Partial Derivative of f(x) with Sin(x^2)

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by treating the other variables as constants and taking the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest.

3. What is the purpose of taking a partial derivative?

The purpose of taking a partial derivative is to understand how a function changes when only one of its variables is varied, while keeping the other variables constant. It is often used in multivariable calculus to optimize functions and solve real-world problems.

4. How is the partial derivative of a function with Sin(x^2) calculated?

The partial derivative of a function with Sin(x^2) is calculated by using the chain rule. The derivative of Sin(x^2) is Cos(x^2) multiplied by the derivative of x^2, which is 2x. Therefore, the partial derivative is 2xCos(x^2).

5. What is the relationship between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative is a special case of a total derivative, which measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. A total derivative includes the effects of all variables, while a partial derivative only considers the effect of one variable.